Midi mapping External MIDI sync button ("EXT" at top left)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
snrjrdn

Midi mapping External MIDI sync button ("EXT" at top left)

Post by snrjrdn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi,

It would be really useful if the EXT button can be midi mappable. I want to assign it to a footswitch. I'm assuming there's a reason why it has not been included as a midi mappable function, but I don't have a clue as to why...thx

doghouse

Re: Midi mapping External MIDI sync button ("EXT" at top left)

Post by doghouse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm

It's not included because there's no good reason to switch from internal to external sync on the fly 8O

What are you doing?

snrjrdn

Post by snrjrdn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm using [Ableton Live 9 + APC40 & footswitch] as a sampler/looper and 'effects unit' alongside [Traktor Scratch Pro 2 + mixer & two turntables]

I've got Live 9 synced to Traktor's Master clock. The master clock is fed a BPM by the 'deck' that is in focus (being played the most out of the two). Traktor also has a 'sync' feature which sends out a downbeat with the clock (the "1" beat) and it is MIDI mappable, so what I've done is I've mapped that to the footswitch connected to Live which begins to record a clip, and it works really well. The problem is when I've finished recording a loop into Ableton Live and I start scratching with the turntable, the Master clock gets fed the position/speed/direction information from the control vinyl in Traktor which in turn sends that info to Ableton causing the audio from the loop playback to slow down and speed up.. I'd like to MIDI map the EXT button to the footswitch button which I press to end the recording of the loop, that way Ableton will continue playing the clip/loop at the recorded speed and I can scratch away happily :D

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am

doghouse wrote:It's not included because there's no good reason to switch from internal to external sync on the fly 8O

What are you doing?
Evil things are going on you know :twisted:

+1 I want to do this also. (for different reasons)

As a matter of fact as a general rule every button of a software should be mappable to access to the status of being a "good software"

I was surprised first time I saw some couldn"t be mapped > like the switch button between arrangement and session...
a save and undo mappable button could be cool also when you're standing up with instrument in your hand & that reaching for the keyboard of the computer seems suddenly a perilous move...

snrjrdn

Post by snrjrdn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Is there a way to assign a mouse click to a MIDI message? I was thinking of hovering my mouse over the EXT button and using something like Bome's MIDI translator or Quickeys... but not sure if it will work with mouse clicking...

Would love it if we could just assign the EXT button to a MIDI control...

Is it excluded from the MIDI because it only appears when Ableton is receiving MIDI clock from external source(s)?

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeah Bomes or autohotkey or glovepie might be worth checking out for this.

keepsound

Post by keepsound » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:11 am

Major reason is that we need that this button will be saved in the project because in this case we need that the project will be played using an external clock. If this button is midi enabled then it's also better for live purposes.
Another thing: if Live will be Apple Script enabled, then we can also send a script to it, but now every solution is closed.
Best regards

wuhtheantidote

Post by wuhtheantidote » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:49 pm

Why has this feature not been added yet? Seems a bit ridiculous to not be able to MIDI map this very important button. Like the comment above, this would be very useful for live performance. Especially while trying to record said performance. While using my external controllers to start the recording and play live I would like to be able to use those controllers to stop all of my gear while Ableton continues to record so that it's able to catch all the reverb and delay happening at the end of my track when I hit stop. As is when I hit stop on my external sequencer the recording stops in Ableton and cuts off all of the beautiful delay and reverb tails. If anyone knows another way to deal with this problem I would love to hear it. Thank you!

jason.w.merrill

Post by jason.w.merrill » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:11 pm

**Feb 2023**

This a 10 year old topic. I also perform live using midi sync coming from a Boss looper. There are moments in the show at the end of the songs where I want to turn off EXT time so the end of the song can be free from clock.

I dislike reaching down to the macbook to do this. Launchpad allows me to map ‘Undo’ to a custom button now.. I’d also enjoy mapping EXT.

Also don’t want 3rd party stuff to do this.

Help Ableton

VoxViola

Post by VoxViola » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm

+1 on this. I'm doing live-looping and I have other equipment to sync, it's nice to control where the clocking comes from if I'm collaborating too. Been wanting this for a while.