Screw you Komplete 9 upgrade install discs!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Screw you Komplete 9 upgrade install discs!

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm

H20nly wrote:i've heard your drums before and they sound great... so how do your room mate's sound?

His mixes usually sound better than mine which kind of pisses me off because it’s mostly by stupid luck. He’s only been producing music for about 2 years and does all his mixes on either $100 computer speakers or Bose (sound coloring) headphones. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

:x

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

beats me wrote:So I downloaded the disc image file and went to burn it to DVD. Problem. DVDs are like 4G and the file is 8G. :x
Dual-layer DVDs are over 8GB.

Optical drives in general pretty much suck, though. They're very finicky and outside of power supplies, I've replaced more disc burners on my computers (laptops and desktops) than anything else. The Komplete Ultimate hard drive is a much less painful way to go- assuming you get one that works. Lots of people on other forums have been getting dead drives.
beats me wrote:I was upgrading from Komplete 6. But even then I bought several of the expansion packs that are now part of Komplete 9. I assumed during the install process it scanned the drive ahead of time to see what is already on there. The box said it’s a 120G install but after it prepared to install it said I only needed 89G of space. So I dunno. But also you don’t know what is on what disc.
The Komplete "wrapper" installer that launches all the individual product installers doesn't know what you've already got, so unless you deselect products you know you already have installed and are up-to-date, it won't proceed unless you have the full space required to install all of Komplete.

I don't know what the numbers are on, say a Standard Komplete 8 to Komplete 9 install, but I keep my Komplete library content on a separate drive, and I upgraded from K8 Ultimate to K9 Ultimate. After all was said and done my library drive was only 59GB more full. I hear the applications/plugins/documentation only account for around 10GB.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:54 am

beats i think you can get a virtual disk drive that will read the image... definitely in Windows...

:arrow:

edit:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 144AADF26e

there's some chatter about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=162333

i don't know all the details of the files you have so the thread is worth a glance because it covers a variety of scenarios, but the posts are numbered and i think the tldr; version might be post #10

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Well the install was a lot simpler than I thought. Just double click the disc image (.iso file) which mounts it (creates the file that has an icon that looks like a drive). Since it’s mounted the computer sees it as the exact same thing as the disc being in the drive.

I downloaded all the disc image files and mounted them. Once I started the install process it did the whole thing without me having to put a damn thing in a drive. :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 pm

there ya go...

that's the kind of stuff i was finding in those threads. it didn't sound like you need to burn dual layer DVDs... lets just put it that way. 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm

H20nly wrote:there ya go...

that's the kind of stuff i was finding in those threads. it didn't sound like you need to burn dual layer DVDs... lets just put it that way. 8)

But did you notice that yahoo post was made 6 years ago and the macrumors thread started in 2005 and ended in 2010? :lol: That’s ancient in OS years and something that was once an elaborate multi-software process is now a simple 1-click process handled by default by the OS.

I do appreciate the effort though.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:49 pm

H20nly wrote:no way! physical media is a good thing to have. maybe not in this case, but i think its a bad idea not to have something more permanent. think of it like this, you can put your pictures, your tax return, or any sensitive info that you want to maintain on a CD. then, you can put that CD in a box, safe, in YOUR possession, not the cloud... that pillar of trust everyone thinks has only their very best interest that of their personal information in mind. there is no working parts on that disc, nothing to break (like on a flash drive). all you need is a reader... which will be around for a while longer.

having to download enough information to fill up 12 DVDs... :|
True. However, don't make the mistake of believing your physical media are bulletproof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 pm

^ hmmmm...
H20nly wrote:no way! physical media is a good thing to have. maybe not in this case, but i think its a bad idea not to have something more permanent. think of it like this, you can put your pictures, your tax return, or any sensitive info that you want to maintain on a CD. then, you can put that CD in a box, safe, in YOUR possession, not the cloud... that pillar of trust everyone thinks has only their very best interest that of their personal information in mind. there is no working parts on that disc, nothing to break (like on a flash drive) AS LONG AS IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE CHEAP PIECE OF SHIT VERBATUM CDS YOU GET AT BEST BUY OR OFFICE MAX OR ANY OTHER CRAP BRAND ONES - STICK WITH iMATION, FUJIFILM, MAXELL or SONY. YOU KNOW, THE ONES YOU USUALLY USE BECAUSE YOU ARE A MUSICIAN AND HAVE SOME FUCKING TASTE AND CLASS AS IT PERTAINS TO BUYING CD MEDIA (RIGHT?). all you need is a reader... which will be around for a while longer.
fixed.

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 am

Logic was probably first of all the daw packages to include a library of usable instruments and effects. It covers just about everything you'd need. Aside from the built in time-stretch and limiters, which are just so behind the times it's untrue. In terms of UI for the instruments, I doubt that will change. Some of them are just deep apps that have to function that way. Besides trying to simply the UI would just enrage people that had taken the time to explore them as they are and are comfortable. That being said Logic does need an update in general now. The likes of Cubase and Ableton now have features it needs to catch up on.

Anyone who has Komplete Ultimate will vouch for how bad the quality of the disc drives NI use are. I won't be upgrading to K9 ultimate. The pricing just makes no sense for what is included.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:22 am

beats me wrote:Apple has stopped putting optical drives on almost all of their computers
Because they are targeting noob.

Rdej

Post by Rdej » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 am

beats me wrote:
Dalmu wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:If it's an upgrade, why do you have to install all the content again? The first disc has the new software (Battery and Monark) and then just check the new content (Giant and Session Strings). Nothing else has changed. Did you get a new computer or something? Or were you upgrading from a much earlier version?

For a full install, Komplete Ulitmate was a blessing since it came on a hard drive. Installing Komplete Standard used to be such a Pain. This time it was just plug-in hit install and walk away for 2 hours.
komplete ultimate comes in a hard drive? like you connect it to your pc/mac and use as needed?

No. You can only use it to install. You can't run the software off it.

In other news...

NI just responded that I can download the disc image. That’s great, but is there going to be some other complicated process after that? Do I just download the file and then right click and burn it to DVD and it will read it like it’s the factory disc? I hope it’s that simple.
Really? NI allowed you to download DMG's of the files? Man I'd love if they let me did that, no where around here sells the Komplete Upgrade kit. I own Komplete 8 so it'd be nice to just download dmg's of battery 4, monark, solid mix, and the giant.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Rdej wrote:Really? NI allowed you to download DMG's of the files? Man I'd love if they let me did that, no where around here sells the Komplete Upgrade kit. I own Komplete 8 so it'd be nice to just download dmg's of battery 4, monark, solid mix, and the giant.
Once you activate a product it's available for download on the NI site on your registered products page. It was news to me that, that also applies to Komplete.

I'm not sure if you can just buy a boxless version out the gate, but it will probably happen soon if not already. When it comes to Komplete maybe NI doesn't want thier servers slammed on release day with people downloading files that could take half the day to download on a slow day.

hexSPA

Post by hexSPA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Komplete 9 library is supposed to be around 80GB. The installer disc said it recognized my Kontakt install and "deselected it" from the tree. Dunno.. In process right now.

With Komplete 8 I had a missing disc. They sent me another box with all the discs but without a serial (since I already had one).

I don't know who packs those boxes but maybe they should start drug testing new hires. 8O

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:42 am

beats me wrote:
Dalmu wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:If it's an upgrade, why do you have to install all the content again? The first disc has the new software (Battery and Monark) and then just check the new content (Giant and Session Strings). Nothing else has changed. Did you get a new computer or something? Or were you upgrading from a much earlier version?

For a full install, Komplete Ulitmate was a blessing since it came on a hard drive. Installing Komplete Standard used to be such a Pain. This time it was just plug-in hit install and walk away for 2 hours.
komplete ultimate comes in a hard drive? like you connect it to your pc/mac and use as needed?

No. You can only use it to install. You can't run the software off it.

In other news...

NI just responded that I can download the disc image. That’s great, but is there going to be some other complicated process after that? Do I just download the file and then right click and burn it to DVD and it will read it like it’s the factory disc? I hope it’s that simple.
They've been doing that for awhile. I have all of the Komplete 8 ISOs in my NI account. Occasionally a disk will be bad out of the box. BTW, loading an ISO into a virtual CD drive makes a quicker install.