Map MIDI notes to frequency on various effects?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Valyo

Map MIDI notes to frequency on various effects?

Post by Valyo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:10 am

Hello folks,
I was thinking if there is way to map midi notes to frequencies (in terms of HZ or tuning where applicable) on the various Ableton devices?
Think Auto filter, Frequency modulator, Grain delay for frequencies and Corpus, Resonator for tuning.
Basically, if you play melodies on synths and so on, you'll be able to achieve some very desirable results if you can 'tune' these effects to the notes you're playing in real time i.e. play A and frequency (of auto filter, grain delay) goes to 440 hz (or a multiple of that for higher octaves), play C and frequency moves to ..it's respective freqency :)
Do you know any M4L device or some other way of achieving this?

Thanks

Valyo

Re: Map MIDI notes to frequency on various effects?

Post by Valyo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:51 pm

so nobody knows/cares?

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 pm

corpus already does this (use sidechain midi input). Doesnt resonance as well? I dont use that one as much so im not sure.

you can remote map a ranges of notes to control a single parameter, as long as the upper and lower bounds on the parameter are set to the frequencies of the upper and lower notes you use, that may work for you.

Beyond that, m4l patch would be the way to go. Use the note frequency to scale things based on the upper and lower limits of the device in question.

Hope that helps...

Valyo

Post by Valyo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 pm

thanks for the reply, yes I figured it out, there is the "Max API Ctrl MIDI Note" tool which does exactly what I was thinking :D latency is not exactly ideal, but it works for the time being
cheers