Exclusive WTF/ Multi Record is On The Fritz?

Discuss Push with other users.
lyovino

Exclusive WTF/ Multi Record is On The Fritz?

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Exclusive "Arm" Selected

As expected, you can only Arm one track at a time unless you use the Command key to select multiple channels to arm.
I cannot Multi record anymore from Push Session Record switch but I can from the Session Record button at the top display.
The Session Record switch on Push does not duplicate the Session record button at the top of display (Next to the New Button).

Exclusive "Arm" Deselected

I can record enable multiple tracks as expected but using Pushes Session Record does not respect this and only records the track in focus. Where as If I use the Record button at the top display it then multi records.
Why aren't they (Pushes Session Record and Lives Session Record switch) duplicating each other?
If multiple channels are Armed and you hit Pushes Record button shouldn't this record all armed tracks?
Why should we have to use the mouse to do this?

If you do manage to record multiple tracks, try using command Z and see what happens.. nothing at all.

I hope this is clear, I'm totally baffled.. Sorry, I'm truly not bashing, just disappointed at the moment.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Exclusive WTF/ Multi Record is On The Fritz?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm very concerned about this feature in my set-up

I'm very frustrated and have NOT tried to test this on 9.0.3 as I'm pissed Ableton can't seem to get there act together.

So just so Im following right
your trying to record multiple clips in session view or are you trying to record multiple clips from session to arrangement view.

I'm thinking Pushs record button should only record the Pushs input on the track push has in focus. I think that if you want to record multiple things into session view you'd need to first have them rec enabled and then launch the empty clip spot. If your using Push as an instrument then an APC40 or launch pad would be a must.

What do you think?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I'm very concerned about this feature in my set-up

I'm very frustrated and have NOT tried to test this on 9.0.3 as I'm pissed Ableton can't seem to get there act together.
I'm on 9.0.3 and this is what it is.
So just so Im following right
your trying to record multiple clips in session view or are you trying to record multiple clips from session to arrangement view.
I'm trying to multi-record 2 or more clips simultaneously in Session.
I'm thinking Pushs record button should only record the Pushs input on the track push has in focus. I think that if you want to record multiple things into session view you'd need to first have them rec enabled and then launch the empty clip spot.
Correct, Pushes button only records the one track in focus, even if others are armed. But you can record all armed tracks if you use the Session record button at the top of Lives display..
One thing I haven't tried is arming multiple tracks and hitting the scene row clip launcher? Will do and report back this evening..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 am

Interesting......so I've no experience with this, I used L7 till I got Push.

Your saying (sorry if I'm not follow you exactly here)

If you have two tracks both record armed and you press the record button at the top of Live you can record multiple clips in session?

I'm only familiar with using this technique to record all tracks rec armed into arrangement in Live7

L9 has two record buttons at the top now so I have yet to explored the new session record automation button (without Push). Also they may have made this change in L8 and I'm just not aware of it.

There maybe a preference that enables recording session clips via the scene launch....seems like I remember this from reading it once upon a time. I'm away from my studio right now so I can't say exactly.

Cheers

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote: If you have two tracks both record armed and you press the record button at the top of Live you can record multiple clips in session?
Yes there are two record buttons at the top display. The one on left is to record into arange, the new record button slightly to the right of this is for recording into session clips and automation.
Also they may have made this change in L8 and I'm just not aware of it
This is new in 9, was not there in 8.

There maybe a preference that enables recording session clips via the scene launch....seems like I remember this from reading it once upon a time.
I will be checking that out this evening
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:25 am

I'm confused what the issue you're running into is? Is it that the red Record button only starts recording for the clip in question and not all recorded ones?

What I've been doing if I want to record two clips at the same time is just hard-arming the tracks (i.e. both have full red, rather than dim red for Push arm) and then launching the by holding the Session button and releasing, rather than switching to Session mode and back to Note mode

When I hit the record button to finish recording, it starts both clips looping

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 am

agent314 wrote:I'm confused what the issue you're running into is? Is it that the red Record button only starts recording for the clip in question and not all recorded ones?
No, the opposite. The record button next to the "New" will record all armed tracks. Push will only records one track (The focused one) if multiple are armed.
What I've been doing if I want to record two clips at the same time is just hard-arming the tracks (i.e. both have full red, rather than dim red for Push arm) and then launching the by holding the Session button and releasing, rather than switching to Session mode and back to Note mode
Good to know. I was going to try that this evening. When you say hard arm, you mean use the mouse, right? I thought we were trying to get away from that for one of the most basic features of Push.. (Recording)
Don't you agree it would be more practical if you could just arm one or multile and press the record button on Push?
I see no reason why this isn't configured this way rather than navigating away to hit a scene launch and then back again. I know it a momentary move but that's why Push has a record button.
When I hit the record button to finish recording, it starts both clips looping
This is what I'm getting at.. If you can end recording/unarm multiple, why can't you use Push to record multiple to begin with..

Sorry for the rant, just a little bothered by this. I believe in Ableton, I just hope they don't neglect this.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 am

Good to know. I was going to try that this evening. When you say hard arm, you mean use the mouse, right? I thought we were trying to get away from that for one of the most basic features of Push.. (Recording)
Nope - while in Session mode, go to Track view. Holding Shift while hitting the top button in the grid column underneath whichever track you want to arm will let you arm multiple tracks at a time.
Don't you agree it would be more practical if you could just arm one or multile and press the record button on Push?
I see no reason why this isn't configured this way rather than navigating away to hit a scene launch and then back again. I know it a momentary move but that's why Push has a record button.
I like it for the opposite reason actually - being able to have a single, dedicated button to start and stop recording in the currently selected clip keeps you from having to think, which is one of the biggest gripes I have with usability.

If I'm going to be recording multiples at a time, I have no problem launching them from Session. If it weren't possible to hold Session so it's a momentary switch rather than a toggle, I'd feel differently. But having recorded with the APC40 for the past few years, it feels totally natural to me to have to hit multiple buttons to start recording into multiple clips.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 am

Push and the APC40 are great together

I remapped alot of the APC40 and I just love the combo

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:07 am

Push and the APC40 are great together

Yeah, I expected to never end up using the 40 after I got Push, but I am finding myself using it allll the time. Which is great.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:Push and the APC40 are great together

Got that Push up off the floor, huh?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:19 am

I'm still not getting serious on it. Which is crap!

I'll poke at it imagining how great it would be...........

It's just shitty man.......I feel like when I was ten and I'd hold my guitar in front of the mirror, I couldnt play it but that wasn't the guitars fault.........
Last edited by Asymmetricalmusic on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:22 am

What are you trying to do that you can't? I still don't think I'm clear what your troubles with arm exclusive are

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:26 am

I posted a picture of my setup in the Push Pic thread

Check it out
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:Image

!!!

I'm trying to have MIDI notes playing external gear while using Push

It just not happening, 9.0.3 should change this

Sorry I'm a glass is half empty, broken and ugly kind of guy sometimes......

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:49 am

agent314 wrote:
Nope - while in Session mode, go to Track view. Holding Shift while hitting the top button in the grid column underneath whichever track you want to arm will let you arm multiple tracks at a time.
Thank you for that. I had no idea you can arm multiple using shift.
You can be in Note or Session and it works the same way. :D
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2