Harrison Mixbus for $39...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Harrison Mixbus for $39...

Post by fishmonkey » Thu May 30, 2013 12:06 am

a quick heads up for anyone interested in trying out Mixbus:

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2013/05/mixbus_v23/

h3rtz

Re: Harrison Mixbus for $39...

Post by h3rtz » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm

thanks for that.

i ignored it when it was on no-brainer deal, but now after a close look it could easily be the perfect addition to live for mixdowns. and it's finally on windows now.

for 40 bucks i'll definitely give it a shot.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

For $40 I think I'll give it a go also.

Erik Mitchell

Post by Erik Mitchell » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm

So why would I use this over Ableton?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu May 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Erik Mitchell wrote:So why would I use this over Ableton?
I have no intention on using it to replace Live... I'm interested in it more for educational purposes of 'Engineering'.
It is supposed to be modeled after one of their classic mix boards. If the reviews confirm that this is true, I would take the stems from songs I've don in Live and import them in to this app to see what results I would get mixing on a classic mix board. Also, with the few videos I checked out from their YouTube page, it feels like your being instructed by an engineer instead of an app developer.

Either way, I spend $40 bucks on stupid shit every week... If this mix board is an accurate remodeling, and can get me to the roots of raw engineering, even if just for practice I think it's worth 40 bucks. There are a lot of open source apps for free out there, but this seems to be coming direct from the people who actually made the real mix board. Propellerhead also have a true to life re-creation of the SSL board and I love how tracks sound on that board.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 am

Erik Mitchell wrote:So why would I use this over Ableton?
you surely would't replace Live by Mixbus, it's more of a complementation. I see Mixbus as a DAW mainly for mixing purposes and that's exactly where Live lacks imho due to no mixer in arrangement, messy organisation of racks (admittedly that depends on the user - mine are messy) and a sound engine that is said to be not up with the best in terms of clarity.

I like the idea of exporting stems from live to Mixbus thus separating the mixing process from writing. You don't even have to bother throwing the right tools on each channel, everything is already there at a glance, just like a real console. And the sound is said to be pristine.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am

I can't put the finger on it, but playing stems through the Mixbus (with tape saturation on and little comp and eq tweaked...) makes the final mix sounds different.
I don't know if better, but for sure not worse. I like the eq of this thing.
There were lots of complaints about JACK before (that you can google about...), but for me it works flawless. Just installed it and forgot it's there...
Not a rule changer, but highly recommended (especially for $39!).
Their sold separately plug-ins (that aren't actually necessary for enjoying the Mixbus...) are a bit more expensive.
Has anyone tried them?
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

keydaking

Post by keydaking » Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 pm

How is the editing in mixbus? Would you recommend importing the files into Mixbus already edited? Have you cut vocals using Mixbus? Do they sound ok given the analog aspect. Im asking bc im thinking of purchasing later today
Dual Quad Core|8gb ram|Axion 49|FT Pro|Live 8 Suite|Komplelte 8|Waves Mercury

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:23 pm

downloading it now, for this price i couldn't let it go
thanks for posting it here!
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 pm

8O

Mixbus is the sweet & cheap solution to live's mixdown workflow and sound, it's a crime not to buy it for this ridiculous price (even the full price remains affordable for this sound quality category!!)

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm

so today i have done my first mix in harrison, after a couple of "f##k around" sessions to just try it out today i did the first mix entirely with mixbus.
i am very impressed by the quality and ease of use, i just miss a midi controller to move faders but i am sure it will be supported soon on windows as well.
I like the dirtyness of the tape saturation and the channel compressor keep very good up in comparison to my UAD and Native Instruments-Softube.
I also like the look of if very much, so much nicer than ableton mixer.
thanks for posting about the 39 dollars promotion, i bought it for a steal and i'm very, very happy with it!
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A