APC / PUSH / MIDI-KEY played by 3 musicians at once?!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
midirandom

APC / PUSH / MIDI-KEY played by 3 musicians at once?!

Post by midirandom » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm running APC / PUSH and a MIDI-KEY-boad
in this set up it's played by 3 people 'live'.

by when I trigger, samples on apc, the other player on push,
cannot continuing playing, because the track selection is changing on push too, when I'm triggering the samples.

how can I avoid this?
your help is very appreciated,
thanx!

jestermgee

Re: APC / PUSH / MIDI-KEY played by 3 musicians at once?!

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am

Check in the Prefs for an option that says something like "Played clip selects track" or somesuch to that affect. This will prevent a clip trigger from selecting the track and affecting other controllers.

I am not near Ableton ATM but I am sure that is something that exists.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 am

i have the same problem! one of my problems is that when i use push to select other tracks with the arrow buttons the new track is selected for recording and the other players aren´t possible to play further etc.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am

when its just about their midi messages which doesnt arrive when u select a track, u can select which midi input goes to that channel/track.

for example:

apc is the cliptriggerer/mixer
push plays only on channel 2
keybord plays only on channel 3

u can select from where the incoming midi comes. u will loose the advantages of the controllers (blue hand) but u are able to midimap them by hand.

maybe i missunderstood ur problems

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 am

the main problem is that i use push for track a and midi keyboard for track b. now i arm both tracks and i have fun while im playing but when i choose another track with push it automatically arms the new selected track and a + b are disarmed. the recording on track a and b stops and the fun is over :) is there a solution for that?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Evengy wrote:the main problem is that i use push for track a and midi keyboard for track b. now i arm both tracks and i have fun while im playing but when i choose another track with push it automatically arms the new selected track and a + b are disarmed. the recording on track a and b stops and the fun is over :) is there a solution for that?
To arm say track C but ALSO leave track a+b armed (in other words enable track arm/disarm for ANY track without affecting other tracks)? Im either getting closer or completely lost.

If that is the case, the option is in Prefs\Record. Disable the option that is set for Exclusive ARM and that allows any track to be armed/disarmed without affecting other tracks.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Evengy wrote:the main problem is that i use push for track a and midi keyboard for track b. now i arm both tracks and i have fun while im playing but when i choose another track with push it automatically arms the new selected track and a + b are disarmed. the recording on track a and b stops and the fun is over :) is there a solution for that?
To arm say track C but ALSO leave track a+b armed (in other words enable track arm/disarm for ANY track without affecting other tracks)? Im either getting closer or completely lost.

If that is the case, the option is in Prefs\Record. Disable the option that is set for Exclusive ARM and that allows any track to be armed/disarmed without affecting other tracks.
it doesn´t work with push! every time i select one of my midi tracks all armed tracks get disarmed and when i play push and activating another track with my mouse the push is also disarmed. maybe i should ask ableton... maybe it´s a bug because my exclusive arm is deactivated ;-/ a jam is only fun without recording atm

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:35 am

Yeah that's where I am out of ideas.

Shouldn't be different. I have an MCU, Alphatrack, iPad and MPD all connected and no matter which device I set ARM on or select a track focus it doesn't disarm any other tracks. Must be a Push thing.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 pm

jestermgee wrote:Yeah that's where I am out of ideas.

Shouldn't be different. I have an MCU, Alphatrack, iPad and MPD all connected and no matter which device I set ARM on or select a track focus it doesn't disarm any other tracks. Must be a Push thing.
yes, it must be the push script :/

Spillover

Post by Spillover » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:41 am

Come on guys. For a year now I've been trying every day to disable exclusive arming, hoping some hidden wizard will make it work with Push while it's in Note-mode. :D
All kidding aside, No, Push 2 simply does not respect Ableton's preference called "exclusive arming." All controllers and midi-keyboard controllers respect "exclusive arming" when it's turned on and when it is off. Push, on the other hand, ignores it altogether, disarms all other tracks, and does so when it's in Note-mode, which is exactly when and where there's an extreme need for it to respect exactly what you set in Ableton's preferences. Conversely, instead it respects the preference settings you have chosen (exclusive arming on and off) when it's in Session mode, which, however, cannot help you when you have to play musical notes and chords. :? :( :cry:
This is really embarrassing and outrageous. I basically don't use Ableton anymore because of this dictatorial behavior of Push. There is no way that I can't decide to play my keyboard with my left hand while with my right hand I play a nice drum-rack on Push, and while I'm playing live, (that's why Ableton was called Live, right?) I choose to bounce between 2/3/ different tracks on my left hand and 2/3/4 different tracks on my right hand set with Input on Push.
Guys--this is the basis for a musician's performance. I can only and only do it if I don't use Push. This is a paradox not acceptable, and there is no workaround that can decently get around the problem.
Switching to Session-mode to select a track with the Push without it disarming any other track in the Ableton clip-session kills and erases the essence of the live performance itself. Putting the Ableton in Arrangemant mode to do the same thing equally disrupts the live workflow. So I would like to ask the administrators to make this problem known (which I find really strange that it has not been addressed yet) and to make Push behave in a respectful way towards the preferences set in Ableton, as all controllers do and should do; especially in a priority way especially when it's in Notes mode.
I ask for forgiveness in advance in case I made a mistake and didn't notice any additional setting in the preferences that really allows to use the Push in Note-mode without disabling all other tracks during a dynamic Live-set.
Thank you so much