Note step sequencer on push yet?

Discuss Push with other users.
onefootskanka

Note step sequencer on push yet?

Post by onefootskanka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am

Hi all

Would love to be able to step sequence external hardware instruments (analog monosynths etc) from push, at the moment it can only do drum racks, which is great but a bit limited. Is there any way of doing this - or any planned development?

I have looked into the PXT Live thing, sounds cool but a bit complex - no videos up yet so reluctant to buy til i see how it works. Sonic Faction's 'The Sickness' also seems to be able to do it but i don't want the instruments it comes with and it seems somewhat tied to this...

Basically i want monosequencer for Push! These two seem built for each other especially with the 8 encoders at the top!

Any M4L geniuses working on this at the moment?

aminoplacid

Re: Note step sequencer on push yet?

Post by aminoplacid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:34 am

Wish I could say yes. I am totally looking for this. This is arguably the biggest feature missing. If I had more time, I'd be looking into making a python script or at least mod to the Mono Sequencer M4L app. The PXT looks promising but not having video feedback or much review is holding me back too. The forum on PXT says there will be videos soon... As of 6/10/2013, it looks like the v1.0 has been updated for release. I'd really like to see something that is more "native" like a python remote script.
Computer: MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM)
Peripherals: Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, Push 2, VoiceLive Touch 2, Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2, Abstrakt Instruments Avalon

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:10 am

Here's a simple workaround:
rud wrote:Just a reminder..
This is not a new trick, but it seems many still ignore it, as I still hear many people complain about the fact only the Drum Racks can use Push's step-sequencer..
Some people used External Devices to trick the system..
But there's a much easier option:

In Live9,
- Create a Midi track
- Put any instrument you want on it, VST, Core-Ableton component, M4L instrument... whatever you want.
- Right click the device you just added, select "Group to Drum Rack"
- On the created Drum Rack, click "Show/Hide Chains" (to actually show them)
- Next, click "Show/Hide Input/Output Selection" (to show them)
- In the chain where you instrument sits, under the "Receive" column, click and scroll up, ways up, and select "All Notes"

Voila!
Your instrument inside the Drum Rack will receive midi messages for this channel on *all notes*, and since it's enclosed in a Drum Rack, it will work with Push's Step Sequ.
(viewtopic.php?f=55&t=193556)
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

i already used this "workaround" but ..

it seems for me that i loose the direct access to Parameters of Analog and Operatior
and what is the maximum note lengh you can get with this ?
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm

dest4b wrote:i already used this "workaround" but ..

it seems for me that i loose the direct access to Parameters of Analog and Operatior
and what is the maximum note lengh you can get with this ?
You don't loose the direct access to the instrument, at least I didn't when I just tested it again.

The maximum note lengh is determined by the next note, from Push one note only can be stretched to the next note with the same pitch in the clip. If you use a polyphonic instrument and there is no other note with the same pitch, you can stretch it through the whole pattern (with monophonic instruments the notes will of course get cut when the next note ist triggered, no matter in which pitch this note is).
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L