SSD with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexfsu

Re: SSD with Live

Post by alexfsu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Wait my MBP has an expansion slot for eSATA? Does this apply to using an external SSD hard drive still? I know little about computer hardware, I'm sorry. But you guessed it, I'm just trying to get by now until I buy a new laptop in June, could you please just tell me what to buy now exactly to get the setup you're implying? Thanks. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:34 pm

alexfsu wrote:Wait my MBP has an expansion slot for eSATA? Does this apply to using an external SSD hard drive still? I know little about computer hardware, I'm sorry. But you guessed it, I'm just trying to get by now until I buy a new laptop in June, could you please just tell me what to buy now exactly to get the setup you're implying? Thanks. :)
Wait, you have a 2011 15"? that comes with Thunderbolt and no expansion card slot, sorry about that. The Thunderbolt to USB3 / eSATA converters are pretty expensive as of now, around $79. The other solution to the bottleneck is to install the drive in the macbook Pro. The speed increase might be worth it. That machine isn't that outdated yet if it's a 15" anyway. .

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 am

Machinesworking wrote:
alexfsu wrote:Wait my MBP has an expansion slot for eSATA? Does this apply to using an external SSD hard drive still? I know little about computer hardware, I'm sorry. But you guessed it, I'm just trying to get by now until I buy a new laptop in June, could you please just tell me what to buy now exactly to get the setup you're implying? Thanks. :)
Wait, you have a 2011 15"? that comes with Thunderbolt and no expansion card slot, sorry about that. The Thunderbolt to USB3 / eSATA converters are pretty expensive as of now, around $79. The other solution to the bottleneck is to install the drive in the macbook Pro. The speed increase might be worth it. That machine isn't that outdated yet if it's a 15" anyway. .
Well my backup drive just crapped out so I'm looking to buy a new external anyway. Seems like a better bet if I'm going to sell this guy in a few months