How to get scenes into arrange view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

How to get scenes into arrange view

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Curious, now that we can capture and insert scenes into session view from the arrange view, is there a way to insert a scene from session view into the arrange page?

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Dragonbreath

Re: How to get scenes into arrange view

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Drag and drop? or global record? As far I understand this question this as pretty much always been possible

green

Post by green » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 pm

if all your loops have the same length, you can simply copy/paste it in the arrange view, otherwise you need to extend all shorter loops then

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 am

I should have further clarified my question. Is there a shortcut other than drag and drop or record to get from session to arrange seeing as how now we have a shortcut for making scenes from arrange.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 am

I don't think there is and there ever will be (Edit: I take that back, the statement is way too bold, let's just say that the following points add some difficulties), because the main question would be where to put the clips on the timeline. And if they would choose one of the possible implementations (0.0.0, before/behind other clips on the tracks, at playing marker, ...), what to do when there is a conflict with existing clips on the tracks in arrangement view? Arrangement to session view is a much simpler task, just put it on the last empty scene. But the other way around drag and drop/recording will probably always be the most convenient solutions.
Last edited by Because789 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Because

Yeah, I'm sure there's no shortcut, i.e. command+shift+I to get from Session to Arrange. However, I think you could implement it. Just set where you want the new scene to be inserted, for example bar 65 and do some key command. All existing clip in arrange would be overwriting.

I like being able to go from arrange to session. I always get to a point in the arrangement where I want to go back to Session write something new. But then I'm like, how do I get this new thing back in from where I left off.

Currently, I'm setting my marker to where I left off and triggering recording from my new scene. Pretty easy, but was hoping for a shortcut.

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:41 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Thanks Because

Yeah, I'm sure there's no shortcut, i.e. command+shift+I to get from Session to Arrange. However, I think you could implement it. Just set where you want the new scene to be inserted, for example bar 65 and do some key command. All existing clip in arrange would be overwriting.
I've been asking for this feature for years now... and honestly thought I must be weird because nobody else seemed to care. I'm with you on this, it sucks to have to record or drag-drop when there are other, tighter methods that could work. As for the guy that says "probably never will be" due to time, bah, it's just a matter of Live tracking where your cursor is placed in arrangement before sending the scene over. It should also loop all clips in the transported scene to the length of the longest clip in the scene, otherwise you have to go in manually and drag them all out, which is really annoying right now (when dragging and dropping).

Drag and Drop also really sucks because you have to match up the channels; they NEVER line up by default and you have to basically find a channel title and remember what clip goes there so you can properly align all the channels in the scene (otherwise you get every clip playing back from the wrong channel).
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Same here. I hate have to try and line up track when I drag and drop. The good news is when 9.1 drops we can detach the session view from arrange view and put them side by side. This might help with drag and dropping.
Ableton | Elektron

Music