Ableton - Filter Delay for Techno/House stabs/chords

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DM909

Ableton - Filter Delay for Techno/House stabs/chords

Post by DM909 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to add some big filter delay to some techno stabs/chords but I am really weak with this plugin...

Here is an example of what I am trying to do : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB5h5Z8peDs

I have no problem to design the sound or play the chords but the problem comes from the delay itself.

Can you give me some tips about it? Or tell me how to program the ableton's native filter delay plugin to get a similar result?

Thank you!

DM909

Re: Ableton - Filter Delay for Techno/House stabs/chords

Post by DM909 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 am

bump :!:

tech44

Post by tech44 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Try chaining multiple filter delays in a row, with the first having a shorter delay time and the next having a longer. Experiment from there.
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

DM909

Post by DM909 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Gonna give it a try now... How should I set up the other parameters?!

3DW

Post by 3DW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I think you have to use your ears on this one. No point in someone giving you a list of parameters without being there to hear the results.

Try as the above poster advised. Chain two or three together for starters and set the first one up so the delay is to your liking. Then mute it and set the second one up and so forth. Try unmuting them and see how they sound together and adjust to taste.

DM909

Post by DM909 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm

hey guys! I've been working on this for weeks now but the result is still far from what I am expecting...

Tried to chain some Ableton's native "Filter Delays" but didn't come with anything good... I want it to give life to my stabs, not to totally change the melody.

malenko

Post by malenko » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:41 pm

LOL I have been thinking about this tune a lot lately and I think it has to be my all time fav chord stab groove. Heard it for the first in years only just the other day.

I've tried it many times and have come pretty close. I struggle more with the sound than anything else.
I think the key is the the actual groove to begin with. If you have the notes laid out in the correct rhythm then your more than half way there. It sounds to me like Dave used a single delay tap with the btm end rolled of. Try maybe a filter delay with just the left channel on and filter the bass out, play around with the delay time till it feels right. Then add a ping pong delay, just a tiny bit that you can just about notice, group them together with a little reverb in there also and then mix with the dry signal.

Hopefully that might work for you and thanks for reminding me of this great tune and that I can finally find it on youtube

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:26 pm

There are a number of things to consider.

1. His delay doesn't happen at every stab, only certain ones while the stabs continue over it. This would probably best be done with an automated Send parameter to a return housing a delay effect.

2. Not sure but maybe the delay has a specific number of delays. Some delays allow you to designate a number of taps for the delay. Live delays just use a feedback parameter, which is more like a fade than a count of taps. You can maybe overcome this by using autopan, but really it is kind of a weird thing to deal with. You can probably also do similarly with multiple delay instances, but I wouldn't bother :P

3. For the filtering, I can't tell if they are just filtered as a whole or if they are feedback filtered. Personally, I'm a big fan of feedback. You can have for instance a simple delay on a return channel (100% wet, feedback at ZERO), and an autofilter after it (add a slight amount of modulation with the LFO, very slight... the movement keeps the adding up of same-frequency material under control), then activate the SEND knob on that Return channel so that it can send back into itself. Be very careful how high you set that particular knob or you will have squelching and screaming and bass and everything and your speakers will hate you, your ears will hate you, your neighbor's will be glad you got an piece of your own medicine, your headphones will make your skull quivver, etc)

Yeah