Live 9.1 - VST's taking forever to load

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
teejay

Live 9.1 - VST's taking forever to load

Post by teejay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:47 am

Ive noticed that after updating to 9.1, VST plugins are taking an exceptionally long time to load.

In some cases its so long that ive killed the program deliberately.

Anybody else having similar issues?

I'm on a windows pc (win 7 64bit) with 12gigs of ram and an overclocked i7 920 at 3.6 Ghz

biestyboy

Re: Live 9.1 - VST's taking forever to load

Post by biestyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I have a similar spec to you and VSTs work fine for me. Do they still take ages to load even after your pc/laptop has been switched on for a while? I ask as I have a related issue where the first set I load after switching on my laptop and firing up Live can take 2-4 mins to load whereas subsequent sessions load much quicker i.e. after the system has been on for a while. You could also try resetting live https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/reset-live/ but be aware that you'll lose your preferences if you do.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

teejay

Post by teejay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 pm

biestyboy wrote:I have a similar spec to you and VSTs work fine for me. Do they still take ages to load even after your pc/laptop has been switched on for a while? I ask as I have a related issue where the first set I load after switching on my laptop and firing up Live can take 2-4 mins to load whereas subsequent sessions load much quicker i.e. after the system has been on for a while. You could also try resetting live https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/reset-live/ but be aware that you'll lose your preferences if you do.
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right the first session that I open after booting up the machine has this, but after openin/closing the VSTs (like the NI stuff) for a while, it starts to get much quicker (closer to normal time).

But this is an extremely weird and unusual behaviour that ive never encountered before, any idea why?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Do you have any conflicting vst's? I use an options.txt method that basically skips vst scanning. It only scans for them when I go into Preferences and hit Rescan.

Oops. You're talking about Loading vsts into a set. Sorry, I read that wrong.

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm

teejay wrote:
biestyboy wrote:I have a similar spec to you and VSTs work fine for me. Do they still take ages to load even after your pc/laptop has been switched on for a while? I ask as I have a related issue where the first set I load after switching on my laptop and firing up Live can take 2-4 mins to load whereas subsequent sessions load much quicker i.e. after the system has been on for a while. You could also try resetting live https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/reset-live/ but be aware that you'll lose your preferences if you do.
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right the first session that I open after booting up the machine has this, but after openin/closing the VSTs (like the NI stuff) for a while, it starts to get much quicker (closer to normal time).

But this is an extremely weird and unusual behaviour that ive never encountered before, any idea why?
Not sure why it happens. I'd assumed it was something to do with indexing. I usually go make a cup of tea whilst it's thinking about it so not such a big deal for me :D I'd give yur2die4's suggestion a go though, sounds like a possible culprit.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm

There are too many of these questions about length of time to be coincidence.

For me, it loads fast because I don't have a large template. BUT almost every project, is just PAINFULLY slow. Especially the very first one. (shrug) You can see my specs below.

What I was hoping is that going SSD would solve this but now I see another person WITH ssd who is not doing well in these terms.

There has to be a reason. It seems terribly inconsistent.

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:35 pm

I tried removing the vst scan in options.txt which made no difference. I have Live loading automatically when my laptop starts and I have noticed that if I try to open a set the moment Live starts it can take up to 5 minutes for the set to load. However if I leave Live open without attempting to load a set for about 5-10 mins before trying to open a set then it loads in about 20 seconds. Does anyone else get this?
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 pm

And I said set far too many times in that post, sorry.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 am

Are you using any NI plugins by any chance? If you are connected to the internet through a LAN or a tethered mobile phone internet connection (which is a LAN I think), then for some bizarre reason, NI plugins take forever to load. If you unplug your LAN cable or untether the phone, the NI VST will immediately load.

I'm on Windows 7x64 now but I found this on XP also on my old laptop.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:19 pm

craftycurate wrote:Are you using any NI plugins by any chance? If you are connected to the internet through a LAN or a tethered mobile phone internet connection (which is a LAN I think), then for some bizarre reason, NI plugins take forever to load. If you unplug your LAN cable or untether the phone, the NI VST will immediately load.

I do have NI Komplete installed but dont think any of their plugins are being used on that particular track. I'll turn off wireless on my laptop though and give it a bash. Thanks for the suggestion.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

TenSquare

Post by TenSquare » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am

biestyboy wrote:
craftycurate wrote:Are you using any NI plugins by any chance? If you are connected to the internet through a LAN or a tethered mobile phone internet connection (which is a LAN I think), then for some bizarre reason, NI plugins take forever to load. If you unplug your LAN cable or untether the phone, the NI VST will immediately load.

I do have NI Komplete installed but dont think any of their plugins are being used on that particular track. I'll turn off wireless on my laptop though and give it a bash. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hello,

At the moment I work with Ableton Live 9.1.4 (64 Bits), I'm on an ASUS laptop with Windows 7, i7 Haswell processor and 16 GB of RAM. I own some NI plugins: Absynth, FM8, Massive, Razor, Supercharger GT, Reaktor Player.

I had noticed this annoying problem too during the launch phase, and it seems that when I switch off my WiFi card the problem stops! Thank you craftycurate for your solution! :D

I guess that Native Instruments plugins make some kind of check over the internet when it is available, at launch time...