Combining Push with other auto-mapped controllers

Discuss Push with other users.
SBRK

Combining Push with other auto-mapped controllers

Post by SBRK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

I was wondering if there was a way to use Push in combination with other controllers that are automapped, but having the selected tracks on the second controller to be the same as on Push. For example : I move the 8 selected tracks on Push with the arrow keys and the tracks mapped to my nanoKontrol 2 move too. That way, I can have mute, solo, arm, level and pan controls on the nanoKontrol, and it leaves Push available for other stuff.

TomViolenz

Re: Combining Push with other auto-mapped controllers

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:05 pm

I don't know if it follows automatically, but to have control with your automap controller over selected tracks is possible. There is a big thread on it in the main section. It's called Select Track Control (STC) (free).

I have my Nocturn set up, to always control the 8 macros of racks, as well as moving the blue hand, locking to a device and changing the track. Locking is important I think so that changing the selected track (e.g. with Push) does not remove focus from the device you controll with the Nocturn.
The only slight difficulty is that you have to change the Midi channel the STC script listens to in the script. Because it uses channel 1 by default, and I think Push does too. But all of this is explained in the thread.

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I don't know if it follows automatically, but to have control with your automap controller over selected tracks is possible. There is a big thread on it in the main section. It's called Select Track Control (STC) (free).

I have my Nocturn set up, to always control the 8 macros of racks, as well as moving the blue hand, locking to a device and changing the track. Locking is important I think so that changing the selected track (e.g. with Push) does not remove focus from the device you controll with the Nocturn.
The only slight difficulty is that you have to change the Midi channel the STC script listens to in the script. Because it uses channel 1 by default, and I think Push does too. But all of this is explained in the thread.
I'm not talking about Novation automap, I just mean the midi controllers that have a midi map on Ableton Live.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 am

Ah, I see. That's an easy misunderstanding to make.
In any case though, STC is your best bet to achieve this, while Midimapping (what you actually meant) can't (because you map to one parameter and one parameter only).
No Automap is needed for STC to work.

What it does is, it listens to your Midimessages (the ones sent by your controller and translates them to specific controlls on the selected track. This is possible for mixer controlls and the 8 macros on racks (including device change).

The question if it follows Push when selecting the track and if you can lock it to a track, once there, I can not answer, as I don't own Push (yet!)

Edit: I'm not familiar with your controller, but in order for STC to work out of the box, you must be able to tell your controller somehow, which encoder/button sends which Midi message, because STC always uses the same Midimessage for a particular parameter (So track volume is always CC07 and Macro 1 is CC41)

If your Controller always sends the same Midi message for the same encoder and you can't alter that, than it gets more complicated (that's why Automap is handy here!)
Theoretically in this case you could probably open the .py files in the STC script and just change the Midimessage for e.g. the track volume to the message the encoder you want mapped to it actually sends. Shouldn't be too hard. How to go about it is better discussed in the STC thread though. Wiffbi, the creator of this great tool always responds quickly with any help you need.

Edit2: If your controller is hard coded to Midichannel 1 though, it might be impossible to use it together with Push, because this is where Push sends and listens AFAIK. In any case the midichannel STC listens to, has to be changed in the STC script (how is explained on the last page of the thread), because it also by default, listens to Midichannel 1.