Doubling time value of composition

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobland

Doubling time value of composition

Post by bobland » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:20 pm

I have a MIDI composition that I'd like to slow down further. Unfortunately, it is already at 20 bpm so I can't move the clock any more. What I'd like to do is get the bpm up to about 80 which means I have to quadruple the value of each note. In other words, a note currently at a quarter note value needs to be converted to a whole note. Since my smallest values are 16ths, I'm wary of doing this manually. Anyway, isn't this what a computer is for?

Eventually, I wll merge this project with a rhythmic one that has a much higher bpm so it is important that I have the ability to jiggle the duration.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Burt

Da hand

Re: Doubling time value of composition

Post by Da hand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Just to be clear, you want the final BPM to be 5 BPM (and not 80 BPM) right?

bobland

Post by bobland » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Ideally, I'd like to convert the current project which is 20 bpm to about 80 bpm or higher. The main reason is to make what are now 16th notes into quarter notes or even half notes. By doing this I can then use finer note values. If I continue at the 20 bpm, the way it is written, I'll have to use 64th notes or worse.

I don't want to speed up or slow down the music. Just have a better way to edit. I don't remember how I got stuck in this mess but there it is.

The other problem is having the ability to view the original track at the same time as manually converting it. I suppose I could open 2 instances of Live and I may try that but I'm hoping there is a "one command" method that will do this for me.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Stretch notes.

justin

Post by justin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Using stretch is one way, another is to go to clip view and use the /2 or *2 buttons. Main drawback is if you have lots of tracks, then it could get time consuming as you have to do each clip individually.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 am

justin wrote:Using stretch is one way, another is to go to clip view and use the /2 or *2 buttons. Main drawback is if you have lots of tracks, then it could get time consuming as you have to do each clip individually.

As Justin wrote, using the /2 or *2 bpm buttons in the clip's BPM section is probably the best solution for this. And actually you don't have to do the clips individually. You can select multiple clips across multiple tracks (for example all your MIDI clips in your song) and change all their BPMs at once with just one click.

bobland

Post by bobland » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:29 pm

justin wrote:...use the /2 or *2 buttons
YES! That was what I was looking for. Did the trick and then some.
(BTW, this is a good example for multiple track editing offered by (gasp) Bitwig.)

Many thanks to all!
Burt