Spectrasonics

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crystalmsc

Spectrasonics

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 am

Update: Omnisphere 2 is here! http://vimeo.com/117503596 Release Date: April 30th, 2015

This year is their 20th anniversary and Eric has mentioned about releasing something this year after some period of silence.
(sources: Spectrasonics, Pluginguru interview, Forum Post by Eric)

I just can't wait, specially since Omnisphere and Stylus are some of my main instruments which work well with Live. But after so many years, Stylus definitely could use some facelift and fresh new contents.

It's been several days of hard to sleep night..thinking about all the possibilities. could it be a Stylus RMX 2 with a revolutionary drum synth engine, innovative step sequencer..multi velocity drum kits, new cutting edge contents (including Heart of Asia, Africa and Supreme Beats) with easier to use interface, specially for realtime use. OR will there be a new specialty product with 4 Osc focusing on Orch/Ethnic/Session instruments and the imaginative version, which can be played within the Omnisphere when it's updated to 4 osc synth..anyone having the same fever here? :)
Last edited by crystalmsc on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

leida

Re: Spectrasonics

Post by leida » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Absolutely !!!
Like you, i'm really waiting for something, can it be possible to update Omnisphere ?
For me, it's the best vsti synth ever, even if some things are missing.
For example, why not a decent piano inside ?
but, i think we won't be disappointed...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm

While I was putting together the preset browser for Omnisphere and Push I decided to write to Spectrasonics to see what they thought of the project and if they may be able to help me out with a discounted copy of Trillian to also offer that too. They didn't bite on Trillian but did mention that although the effort was great and the work appreciated they said (quote):
Unfortunately, with the amount of patches and new things we are working on, it won’t be realistically possible to keep up.
I accept that challenge!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm

jestermgee wrote:While I was putting together the preset browser for Omnisphere and Push I decided to write to Spectrasonics to see what they thought of the project and if they may be able to help me out with a discounted copy of Trillian to also offer that too. They didn't bite on Trillian but did mention that although the effort was great and the work appreciated they said (quote):
Unfortunately, with the amount of patches and new things we are working on, it won’t be realistically possible to keep up.
I accept that challenge!
What a shit reply from them :x
For the price that they are asking for their product, they should invest some money to get these presets ready for Push themselves (and other devices, that follow the 8 encoder + banking paradigm).
They have great products, but they come at a huge price!
And that answer is just pure hubris!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Yeah, well I managed to do over 16000 preset files with a further 10000 being completed for Trillian. Unless they plan on releasing 50 billion new presets I am sure I will keep up....

I bet though they won't be released for free to existing users tho. They need income and just like with Atmosphere they will probably release a new front end with new presets and ALL the old ones wrapped together and sell it all over again. :roll:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

After I have gotten used to having every parameter mapped for Lives devices in Push, I've become actually less and less interested in instrument vst's, because of the bad integration they all have with controllers.
I know the Spectrasonics stuff sounds amazing, I heard it at a friends house, but just seeing how he clicked about with the mouse, killed any gear lust I might have had (not to mention the price!).

Then guys like you come about trying to remedy this shortcoming somewhat and they give you this sort of snobish answer :roll:

I'm not happy whith what NI called integration with their instruments into Maschine (it's basically just the Macros for parameters). But they at least included all presets in their library browsing, and people buy that stuff like crazy! There seems to be coming out an extension every week.

Do the other vendors really not see that this sort of integration can make them money?!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm not so sure it is a VST programmer thing to make it integratable into others controller systems. I mean Spectrasonics for instance allow MIDI to be programmed directly into the VST without the host side of things AND for Omnisphere they also offer the ipad app which offers full access to almost every thing PLUS browsing.

Honestly Spectrasonics have actually done a pretty good job IMO and after 6 months of looking at reviews and samples of what could be done, reading up on the company, and Eric and the sound designers I was satisfied to sink $450 into the company which is not that bad is it?

Ableton should be providing the integration with their product but just like you with your re-jugging of parameters for Push I like to just find my own way and press on. I had the VSTs before Push so I will make it all work like always. Part of the fun I guess. Little boring if everything always works and you can't tinker.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 pm

People have been asking about an RMX update for a long time now. I don't know if/when it will happen.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Not sure if Eric's relationship with Roland is still tight, but they could be creating 'plug-outs' for Roland's new System 1 hardware (assuming Roland will allow 3rd parties to do this), or they could just roll their own hardware.

Having a light version of Omnisphere & Trilian, or something new, swappable in a dedicated hardware controller would be cool for live use, or for just getting away from a mouse and keyboard.

To be honest, I'm surprised that one of the hardware controller manufacturers hasn't released an inexpensive, dedicated controller labeled with subtractive synthesis parameters that could be MIDI mapped to a host's synths and to 3rd party VST synths. Maybe there's one out there now that I don't know about.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:38 am

They are going to release "univeralomnirmxian"

It will take an cranial probe and automatically make any music your mind tells it too.

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am

I cant even get stylus installed on my macbook os x ... how the hell does one install STYLUS RMX on MACBOOK?? PLEASE ANYONE? I have tried everything. even tried the updater from spectrasonics.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:37 am

I dunno, but getting it installed right for me in win7x64 was murder. You have to follow the instructions VERY carefully and the installer must only be for newbs. I've had RMX since before 1.5 :o So my discs are really out of date.

Ugggg, installing the expanders was a lesson in patience too.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:09 am

This last year I stopped installing RMX on my laptop after fresh OS installs, it's just too much hassle right now.

Curious to see what they come up with next, it's been quite awhile since Omni came out.

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 am

eyeknow wrote:I dunno, but getting it installed right for me in win7x64 was murder. You have to follow the instructions VERY carefully and the installer must only be for newbs. I've had RMX since before 1.5 :o So my discs are really out of date.

Ugggg, installing the expanders was a lesson in patience too.

yes installing is a nightmare, absolute.
Last edited by tintala on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 am

tintala wrote:I cant even get stylus installed on my macbook os x ... how the hell does one install STYLUS RMX on MACBOOK?? PLEASE ANYONE? I have tried everything. even tried the updater from spectrasonics.
ask the technical support, Michael is a very helpful person. I installed Stylus RMX on the osx without any problem. But when I was using Live 8, the vst version won't showed up. Michael told me to rescan and restart live..still not showed up, until the next version of Live. Now, both VST and AU version works well.
outsidesys wrote:Not sure if Eric's relationship with Roland is still tight, but they could be creating 'plug-outs' for Roland's new System 1 hardware (assuming Roland will allow 3rd parties to do this), or they could just roll their own hardware.
not sure about their relationship, but I feel like the new development of Roland's instruments are loosing Eric's touch to their sound character/quality. So, to me Spectrasonics is my next Roland. A dedicated Spectrasonics hardware is something that people had been waiting for so long. But with today's technology of controllers, I'd be much happier if the instruments would work well with the existing products. In my case, Stylus with Push, Omnisphere with Ultranova/Impulse.
outsidesys wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised that one of the hardware controller manufacturers hasn't released an inexpensive, dedicated controller labeled with subtractive synthesis parameters that could be MIDI mapped to a host's synths and to 3rd party VST synths. Maybe there's one out there now that I don't know about.
Novation actually did it with the X-Station line.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums