The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

Lil Linux

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Lil Linux » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 am

Hoping the Bitwig Linux version goes well.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 am

Another bitwig thread!

I'm staying put. Live basically works well for me. I'd fall back on studio one before buying another host if that ever changed.

What I DO hope is that some companies (ableton and studio one hehe) start incorporating some of the ideas.

hec

Post by hec » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 am

I'm not justifying my move. I have all the major DAWs, I appreciate good features and I go where the best workflow lies.

The truth is you can make great music with all of them.

Ableton however has been my home but there has been a neglect by the development team I'm some crucial areas. I'm just glad there's some competition for them now.

Bitwig is basically Ableton but better. I have used the Beta thoroughly. I think a lot of Live users are going to be very pleasantly surprised ; )

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 am

Bitwig won't be a big threat until maybe version 2. It will have some glaring omissions first but no doubt it will have some cool new features but not enough that will make most hardcore Live users abandon it completely.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 am

Seriously, how many fucking BW threads do we need here and who gives a fuck if OP is gonna stop using Live?

Sure hope BW allow Live's biggest tosser users to post/troll their forums, only fair...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:22 am

:lol:

jbw

Post by jbw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 am

I would be part of "the great BitWig migration", but only if it had a better name, like NitWit.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 am

ClitFlick.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 am

I may be that BB turns out to be significantly better than Live on one or two fronts, and marginally better on others... But I will probably stay.

Why? Because my main challenge is in the music, not in the tools.

If I were to start from scratch now, it would be a difficult choice, Live or BW. But I have 7 years worth of time, work and presets invested in Live. It would take a HUGE incentive for me to shift.

And even if I did shift, my main challenges would still be the same. Learning and making music. Figuring out how take an idea to completion. And so on. Those are skill and mind challenges, not gear and software challenges.

jbw

Post by jbw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:57 am

NutSmack

jbw

Post by jbw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:43 am

NipTwist.

Well I've added much to the discussion now haven't I. :mrgreen:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:25 am

The Finn wrote:I may be that BB turns out to be significantly better than Live on one or two fronts, and marginally better on others... But I will probably stay.

Why? Because my main challenge is in the music, not in the tools.

If I were to start from scratch now, it would be a difficult choice, Live or BW. But I have 7 years worth of time, work and presets invested in Live. It would take a HUGE incentive for me to shift.

And even if I did shift, my main challenges would still be the same. Learning and making music. Figuring out how take an idea to completion. And so on. Those are skill and mind challenges, not gear and software challenges.
Except for the people having stability issues. I know that back when I was in the "dark ages" and couldn't get ANYTHING to be stable long enough to work, it was an issue. Not the case for about 16mos here now.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am

I can see a lot of casual users making a switch simply because they don't loose much by switching and start all over again learning a new DAW's quirks.

For people have been using live for many years and know it inside out and know what its like to know a tool inside out and very productive with it then switching tends to create more problems than it solves unless what you are switching to offers some massive improvements to make the switch worthwhile.

For sure Ill have a look at the demo once available, but I don't see myself thinking about switch anytime soon despite that there appears to be some nice improvements in it. I also expect there to be a bunch of unpleasant issues with it as well - probably just different (and unknown) headaches relative to live.
Nothing to see here - move along!

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 am

will check it out, but more of a curiosity than anything else and would expect most people to do the same - it obviously offers a similar experience to the one we are all using.
it would have to be something amazing to make me drop dollars on it after the trial... i always like to be amazed, but on the basis of that, i wouldn't expect many people to be migrating based on the odd feature here and there....

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 am

maybe bitwig will offer an ableton live liveset/preset transformator for some extra cash. Or maybe it would be a profitable job for some hackers/scripters here.