How do I add vocal samples to ableton live 9 as "one shot"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikebundrgrnd

How do I add vocal samples to ableton live 9 as "one shot"

Post by mikebundrgrnd » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 am

Can anyone please tell me how to add vocal samples to a file as a "one shot" where master tempo does not apply to the specific sample and also does not effect other tracks. All my attempts have been futile :cry:

chrk

Re: How do I add vocal samples to ableton live 9 as "one shot"

Post by chrk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 am

mikebundrgrnd wrote:...where master tempo does not apply to the specific sample
Deactivate Warp on that specific clip?
You can also, set quantisation of a single clip to "None": Activate the little "L"-Button in the clip frame to view the launch frame.
and also does not effect other tracks.
Triggering a single clip does not affect other tracks, does it? - Be more specific...
If you're triggering scenes, though, you can put this clip in a scene on its own and "Remove Stop Buttons" from all other tracks in the scene.

mikebundrgrnd

Post by mikebundrgrnd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 am

I just started using ableton after using acid pro for years. I am trying to add "dj drops" and cannot figure out how to it successfully. I did deactivate warp and the vocals are still sounding terrible, choppy, sped up, etc...I also tried slave and this sounded fine, but effected other tracks in the file.

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:43 am

mikebundrgrnd wrote:I did deactivate warp and the vocals are still sounding terrible, choppy, sped up, etc...
WHERE did you deactivate warp? - Switching it off in preferences does not affect clips that are already in the set, you must deactivate it in the clip frame.
I also tried slave and this sounded fine, but effected other tracks in the file.
That's exactly wow master/slave mode is supposed to work: the master clip is played AS IF it had warp deactivated, but the slaves 'listen' to their master.

mikebundrgrnd

Post by mikebundrgrnd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 am

You were right...I was not deactivating warp on the clip even though I thought I had done so. Thank you so much! The only other issue I have is how do you add and warp tracks that are not at the master tempo? Example: master tempo at 128 but you have tracks at 127 or 130.

Post by 102455 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:19 am

To play stuff at its original tempo = warp off.

To play stuff at the master tempo = warp on.
Last edited by 102455 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm

LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

mikebundrgrnd

Post by mikebundrgrnd » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 am

I have watched many of these videos. The issue I have is if I warp a track that is say 130 into a mix with master tempo of 128 it is totally off. What am I doing wrong?

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:26 am

Could be a lot of things. I've not had any specific problems with warping even going from 120 to 160bpm so you're missing something; maybe we can figure it out.

It would be worthwhile for you to start something from scratch and go step by step. Using the metronome will tell you right away that something is wrong. The first critical element is getting downbeat 1.1.1 correct. If that is off then everything is off. To make your life easier you should find a song with a consistent tempo. Do you know how to set the warp starting position?
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:34 am

The concept of warping is, telling Live where each beat count is so that Live knows the original tempo of the clip. Then, when the clip is played, Live will force the clip into the new Master tempo by keeping each beat aligned with each global beat.

People often times mess up their warping by going with tempo as their way to interpret the settings they are applying to the clip. The best way, only in my opinion, is to learn how to warp by listening to the material in conjunction with a metronome, and learning how to visually identify where warp markers go. I don't even look at the tempo.

A few tips:
1. Find a solid downbeat. Preferably at the beginning of a 'phrase' with a bass drum. You might have to go a min into the track to find the first good clean easy to identify one. You can always work your way back after. Set a marker there. Set it as 1.1.1 via the context right-click, and delete all other markers. Then gently pull the gray markers in line with the beat so that the grid looks pretty clean and hitting space bar sounds good with the metronome on. Don't add markers right away, line things up and don't add a marker until maybe the 17th measure. Keep going with that.

2. If you can get away with 3 or 4 markers on a track (assuming this track is perfectly aligned to the metronome), you will likely have a very clean clip. Sometimes I zoom in, inbetween those markers and check of anything is off. You can add new markers inbetween if necessary.

3. When starting warping a new clip I always only double click a new warp marker AFTER I've dragged it in place. And make Sure there are no markers to the right. If you double click first, you are saying 'whatever the tempo was before I repositioned the marker, I'll retain that for everything beyond the warp marker'. And that's not what you want. When you pull it in place, everything beyond it will also be falling in line. THEN once it is set, double click to turn it into a marker.

4. Start with really easy tracks! It takes a lot of practice and you may only be able to grasp what it is Doing by practicing and learning from trial and error. You'll quickly learn that some tracks are more 'warpable' than others. After a while, you'll have no trouble warping most dj tracks and even shit rock songs with totally random tempo variations.

You should really only look at the tempo AFTER you've completely finished warping and can verify that it sounds right in the software. Each marker might have a slightly different tempo 127.9 or 128.001. Who knows. But of you type a tempo it can often theme be wrong.

Post by 102455 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

mikebundrgrnd wrote:it is totally off. What am I doing wrong?
What you're doing wrong is that you're not being anywhere near specific enough. What exactly do you mean by "totally off"?

mikebundrgrnd

Post by mikebundrgrnd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:17 am

102455 wrote:
mikebundrgrnd wrote:it is totally off. What am I doing wrong?
What you're doing wrong is that you're not being anywhere near specific enough. What exactly do you mean by "totally off"?
When I warp a track that is 130 into a 128 master tempo, it is quite off beat when I attempt to blend it with another track.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 am

mikebundrgrnd wrote:Can anyone please tell me how to add vocal samples to a file as a "one shot" where master tempo does not apply to the specific sample and also does not effect other tracks. All my attempts have been futile :cry:

Plenty of ways. The two easiest ways I would do it.

1. Turn off Warping and loop mode for the clip.

2. Use Simpler.

Both ways have Pros and cons but the Simpler method would be the old school hardware sampler method while the former being the way a typical Daw would handle it.

Post by 102455 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am

mikebundrgrnd wrote:it is quite off beat
I suggested that you were more specific in your explanation.

All you've done is repeat what you originally said, but substituted "totally" with "quite". Oh, and added the word "beat".

Others here have expained warping. It's also in the Live manual and the built in tutorials. There are endless videos available that explain it step by step.

Unless you go into more detail about what your problem is, there's not much we can do to help.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:58 pm

If you want one-shot style vocals, just drop the vocal shots into a drum rack. Play them as sampler devices. After it's in the drum rack, you can adjust the start point of your sample --- then just play it.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5