How do I "Solo Exempt" a track in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Groovacious

How do I "Solo Exempt" a track in Live?

Post by Groovacious » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 pm

There is no word of it in the manual guys - can ya help out?

Solo Exempt means to me that the exempted track would continue to play and be heard even when any other track is solo-ed.

Thanks for your brilliance as usual ;-)
Groovacious

invol

Re: How do I "Solo Exempt" a track in Live?

Post by invol » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 am

Groovacious wrote:There is no word of it in the manual guys - can ya help out?

Solo Exempt means to me that the exempted track would continue to play and be heard even when any other track is solo-ed.

Thanks for your brilliance as usual ;-)
Groovacious
There is no way to solo safe/solo isolate a track in Live. If Solo In Place is enabled, and there is some signal flow between the tracks, eg Return track, then it will not mute.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:35 pm

i just hold down ctrl (PC) or cmd (MAC) and solo two tracks... or 3 etc. it's not quite as easy as what you're looking for, but it's not exactly hard either...

unless you're using a controller. in that case, it's a bit of a workflow killer.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Or de-activate exclusive solo in the preferences. No need to hold down any modifier then.

invol

Post by invol » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Very cool, I'm going to check these out soon!

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:42 am

With a few tweaks an "ALL" could be added to the groups which would effectively make any track in the ALL group always solo no matter the selection. This would do exactly what you're looking for.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:58 am

clydesdale wrote:
With a few tweaks an "ALL" could be added to the groups which would effectively make any track in the ALL group always solo no matter the selection. This would do exactly what you're looking for.
thought about it... don't think it will be that easy.. you'll need to monitor every solo button on every channel...
or have this device on every channel in the project.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:11 am

3dot... wrote: or have this device on every channel in the project.
Load the device into an empty track, right click on the track and 'save as default'?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:45 pm

:|

WonderTripp

Post by WonderTripp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:54 am

Just bumping an old thread in case anyone is looking for the solution in 2018 like I was.

Here it is ;)

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/3447/solo-safe

Lokua Chicago

Post by Lokua Chicago » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Bumping this as a feature request. The M4L device is not a great workaround as you have to dive into the device chain.
Would love to be able to right click the SOLO button and choose "Exclude from SOLO" or similar.

My use case is that I'm sending MIDI CCs on multiple tracks to external devices and I never, ever want them muted (imagine that these are being sent to an external device and that is the very same external device's audio that I want to solo!)

I can't even work around the issue by soloing a group as the children of a group behave inconsistently.
For example, if I solo a group containing audio and MIDI tracks, the audio tracks stay on, yet the MIDI tracks don't.

BTW I have exclusive off.

willmeierart

Post by willmeierart » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 pm

Would also like to bump this as a feature request.

Using an expert sleepers USAMO to send midi out to hardware, but if I solo a track since the USAMO uses an audio signal, it kills all the hardware clocks. There is a USAMO specific workaround to use an external audio effect, but since I am also using overbridge for some other elektron synths, the delay compensation cannot be reconciled between the external audio effect and overbridge using this hack.

Cuze

Post by Cuze » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:39 pm

I request the same feature. I'm using a ERM Multiclock to transform an audio signal to a midi clock used by my external gear. Now, I can't use the solo feature anymore because it also mutes the audio track which sends the clock audio to my multi clock.

I know that Studio One has a feature where you right-click on the solo button of a track and press "exclude from solo".
This way, the audio track is not muted when you press solo on other channels.

EDIT: I found out that you can use the "External Audio Effect" Utility to send the audio out on a channel even when the track is muted because you solo'ed another channel.

alexleonard

Post by alexleonard » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 pm

I'll have to re-activate this thread as I haven't been able to find anything new about this that changes the situation.

I have a MIDI track controlling external hardware. I have an audio track monitoring the external hardware output. I solo the audio track. The MIDI output is muted. My hardware stops playing.

I will experiment with https://www.maxforlive.com/library/devi ... /solo-safe but it seems bonkers that this feature isn't built in by default!