Chord Generator - Cthulhu

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Re: Chord Generator - Cthulhu

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:03 pm

I had the feeling someone else was working this problem besides me.
Especially after checking out all the Bach chorale presets that come with Cthulhu.
:)
tech44 wrote:There are a few chord tool racks on our site here.

As well as Cthulu presets: here.

tech44

Post by tech44 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I had the feeling someone else was working this problem besides me.
Especially after checking out all the Bach chorale presets that come with Cthulhu.
:)
tech44 wrote:There are a few chord tool racks on our site here.

As well as Cthulu presets: here.
If you have more chord presets, please add them on the site. People can't get enough of the Cthulu presets. They're some of the most downloaded items on the site.
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Right now I'm just seeing how Cthulhu fits in with my own musical concepts. But a general form for presets is to map chords in a given key signature to the appropriate keys on the keyboard, taking care to map inversions so that chord transitions are smooth, and maybe adding a bass note.

This would allow one to choose a scale in Push, with the key reference, and use chord progressions naturally (in Chromatic mode, one would use accidentals for secondary dominants to related chords within the key signature).

That said, there are a lot of possibilities... (power chords/parallel fifths, etc...)

So this post is more of a suggestion to the thread,....

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Can't you do something similar with PXT Live Plus as well? In the chord mode (plus only) you can specify a different chord type and one of 3 inversions for a any particular note within a scale. You can choose between 16 different chord types and they are user modifiable via the "chordtypes.py" file that install with PXT Live. So essentially you can set every pad to the chord you would like to use manually making it easy to generate chord progressions.

On top of that you are able to play 2 octaves of the scale on the top part of the Push matrix while you play the chords you defined on the bottom half.

here's the video on Chord and STC modes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ3gf8okmQ

This obviously only applies if you're using Push.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Try it and see...
(Make sure you keep track of the time you spend in each....:)

Airyck wrote:Can't you do something similar with PXT Live Plus as well? In the chord mode (plus only) you can specify a different chord type and one of 3 inversions for a any particular note within a scale. You can choose between 16 different chord types and they are user modifiable via the "chordtypes.py" file that install with PXT Live. So essentially you can set every pad to the chord you would like to use manually making it easy to generate chord progressions.

On top of that you are able to play 2 octaves of the scale on the top part of the Push matrix while you play the chords you defined on the bottom half.

here's the video on Chord and STC modes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ3gf8okmQ

This obviously only applies if you're using Push.