A way to side-chain the lower end of a sound?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moreofmorris

Re: A way to side-chain the lower end of a sound?

Post by moreofmorris » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

When it comes to phase...

...if it sounds ok to your ears and everything is fine when you check the mix in mono... Then it's really no problem, right?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm

moreofmorris wrote:When it comes to phase...

...if it sounds ok to your ears and everything is fine when you check the mix in mono... Then it's really no problem, right?
if it sound ok to your ears then fine.. but remember to A/B test the original audio..
as some "smearing" may occur..
this is a culmative effect so the less (allpass/minimum phase) filters the better if you want to keep your original frequencis phase relations intact...

"in addition to adjusting the relative amplitude of frequency bands, an audio equalizer may alter the relative phases of those frequencies. While the human ear is not as sensitive to the phase of audio frequencies (involving delays of less than 1/30 second), music professionals may favor certain equalizers because of how they affect the timbre of the musical content by way of audible phase artifacts."

so yeah.. phasing/combing can cause very musical and nice results..
use your ears.. but it's good to be aware of these things..

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:16 pm

moreofmorris wrote:I've been wondering this for a while. Say I have a thick pad sound and a heavy kick drum. Rather than just side-chain it so the volume of the pad is lowered when the kick comes in, is there a way of setting up an EQ on the pad so it's lower frequency only is cut when the kick comes in. That way the pad doesn't have that obvious "pump" sound but it's lower end is being taken away only when the kick comes in?

I don't want that to be confused with setting the EQ on the side-chain part of the compressor. It's dynamically cutting away the lower end of the pad only when the kick comes in... If that makes sense!

Cheers you lovely people x

Why not just use Auto-Filter? It has it's own sidechain input and envelope.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:
moreofmorris wrote:I've been wondering this for a while. Say I have a thick pad sound and a heavy kick drum. Rather than just side-chain it so the volume of the pad is lowered when the kick comes in, is there a way of setting up an EQ on the pad so it's lower frequency only is cut when the kick comes in. That way the pad doesn't have that obvious "pump" sound but it's lower end is being taken away only when the kick comes in?

I don't want that to be confused with setting the EQ on the side-chain part of the compressor. It's dynamically cutting away the lower end of the pad only when the kick comes in... If that makes sense!

Why not just use Auto-Filter? It has it's own sidechain input and envelope.
yep.. although personally I find the envelope not so responsive...

orionka

Post by orionka » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

yeah, thats a job for the auto-filter effect, it has a sidechain option. I do this all the time.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:05 pm

what you're describing is a dynamic EQ, btw. never knew autofilter had a sidechain, will have to play with it. i think that's a little bit different effect, since the sidechain affects the filter frequency? when really you want it to affect volume.

i don't know of any free dynamic EQs, but melda mdynamiceq is pretty cheap & full-featured. others would be things like voxengo glisseq and brainworx bx_dyneq, or maybe trackspacer.
basically, normally dynamics affect the gain of the signal based on level of the input; dynamic EQs affect the gain of EQ bands based on the level of the input. set up a lowpass shelf to kick in when the level goes high, and you should have it.

bugsss

Post by bugsss » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm

This is a great tutorial about how to get the kick frequencies to drop out of the bass track every time the kick hits, using Max for live. This helped me a lot... hope it helps you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NhQsm ... OF&index=5