A kill switch for all audio effects

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Score

A kill switch for all audio effects

Post by Score » Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Ableton could use a kill switch for all audio effects. When you stop a track with an effect such as a reverb or a delay with a long tail, the sound can go on forever if you have a high delay time or a feedback....stuff like that. It would be nice to be able to stop all the audio from those effects with the push of a button.

memes_33

Re: A kill switch for all audio effects

Post by memes_33 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 pm

you could map a keyboard key or midi controller button to turn effects off.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue May 13, 2014 6:57 am

You can stop all audio with a single click on the CPU meter. That kills Live's audio engine.

jbw

Post by jbw » Tue May 13, 2014 7:41 am

Pretty sure you can just click on stop too, after you've clicked it to stop playback.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 am

Or the volume knob on ur mixer. That works very well too.

Score

Post by Score » Tue May 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Aha, all these sound like they would work. Thanks guys (or girls).

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:45 pm

Actually, I've seen many threads like this where all of the replies were stupid. No, you are all wrong. Sorry. The OP wants to interrupt a long reverb tail, for example. All the solutions provided here and elsewhere are equivalent to "pop on some earplugs until the reverb tail decays off".

The way to interrupt all audio in Live is to triple-click the Stop button at the top. Of course this is never going to be as good as FL Studio where audio stops completely and immediately whenever you hit the Stop button. In Live, the triple-click trick unfortunately moves the song position to 1.1.1, which is unwanted behaviour.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:17 pm

Triple-clicking doesn't do that on my computer.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:00 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:17 pm
Triple-clicking doesn't do that on my computer.
Thanks for cross-checking this. Alas, I was wrong. I was testing using Valhalla Room and the reverb tail is indeed interrupted instantly when I triple-click the Stop button, but using the built-in Reverb device this doesn't work which is corresponds with your findings.

So I'm guessing there is just no way to stop all audio in Live. In FL Studio, which was my previous DAW, audio output was automatically interrupted across the board whenever playback stopped. Do you think it would be beneficial for this to work like in FL? I remember seeing requests for a MIDI panic button/command (was this implemented?), maybe a panic button that kills both audio and MIDI would be even better.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 am

Just freeze tracks with long reverb tails.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:52 pm

MallorcaMalle wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 am
Just freeze tracks with long reverb tails.
As I said in my previous reply, it's one step from telling me to just wear earplugs. That's not the point. I need the tail to stop when I stop playback so I can quickly make edits and play again, without having to wait for the tail to decay off. I want to hear how the reverb hits on that first note without previous reverb tails muddying my audio. Freezing tracks is not a solution.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:46 pm

Score wrote:
Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm
Ableton could use a kill switch for all audio effects. When you stop a track with an effect such as a reverb or a delay with a long tail, the sound can go on forever if you have a high delay time or a feedback....stuff like that. It would be nice to be able to stop all the audio from those effects with the push of a button.
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/7 ... ll-effects

It sounds like someone might have created a m4l device to handle this.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:35 pm

I just posted an FR for this on Ableton Centercode, for those of you who are members, feel free to up-vote if you are interested: L11-SUG-3251 AUDIO PANIC button or command needed

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:56 pm

Score wrote:
Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm
This is actually a really good request. I hate it when I have long reverb tails on several tracks and always have to wait for them to end when I'm trying to quickly edit something. Kind of annoying, and the work-arounds are clunky