Which book(s) would you like to see turned into a movie?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Which book(s) would you like to see turned into a movie?

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 am

The amount of times a movie completely misses the spirit of the book is not a small trifle. Wiseblood (Directed by John Huston) was probably the only adaptation that 100% got the feel of the book IMO.

Not a book, but the story of the schizophrenic killer Herbert Mullen.
Herbert Mullin, 25. Although he had been institutionalized and evaluated as a danger to others, he'd nevertheless become an outpatient, which allowed him to roam freely. He'd stopped taking his antipsychotic medication and "heard" a voice that urged him to kill. It was his mission, Mullin believed, to save the people of California from a super-earthquake that would send it into the ocean. Thus, he decided that he had to "sing the die song," which he believed would persuade thirteen people to either kill themselves or allow themselves to become human sacrifices (which he said they conveyed to him telepathically). Using a knife, gun, or baseball bat to slay those he selected, he killed until police picked him up.
The first person account of his killings is beyond the blackest of black comedies. He inadvertently killed two people who "volunteered" who lived just down the road from each other, they both happened to be drug dealers and the cops thought it was a drug deal gone bad sort of thing…

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am

Hoping theres a documentary on YT for that one...

The Galactic Pot Healer by PKD, though it might be more interesting as a play since most of it is conversation in a couple different settings.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 pm

oblique strategies wrote:And yes, Stephen King's The Stand done right would be welcome.
I'd be behind it if it were either a Jackson LOTR-sized trilogy or maybe even an HBO series. As long as it wasn't white washed. Although including a scene where a guy forces another guy to jerk him off while he holds a .45 up his ass might be a hard sell…

Also, the Dark Tower series should be made at some point. It's been in development hell with Ron Howard for a while now.

And yes, Lovecraft. Maybe an HBO or BBC series that does a bunch of the great shorts.
Unsound Designer

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 am

"The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society presents its all new silent film of The Call of Cthulhu. The famed story is brought richly to life in the style of a classic 1920s silent movie, with a haunting original symphonic score. Using the "Mythoscope" process — a mix of modern and vintage techniques, the HPLHS has worked to create the most authentic and faithful screen adaptation of a Lovecraft story yet attempted."

Highly recommended for those who actually read Lovecraft...

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 am

I heard they are redoing "It" as a movie, hopefully better than the mini-series was. I thought that or Tommy Knockers were better stories than the Stand, which I never liked the end of.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:39 am

One good thing about the 1st TV movie version of 'It' was Tim Curry, he nailed it. But one too many group hugs for my taste.

'Tommyknockers' has some really interesting ideas, but it was a terrible TV movie.

If you want to see the absolute bottom of the barrel Stephen King TV movie check out 'The Langoliers' Oh boy, what a travesty!

If you want to see one of the absolute best, see 'Storm of The Century'. Excellent.

Last edited by oblique strategies on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 am

Since everyone is talking about Stephen King, I think that "11.22.63", his time-travel book about the JFK assassination, would make a really great film (or 13 episode style series). I loved the book, and it's another one of those books that are so easy to visualise, and when I got into it, I immediately pictured John Cusack and Megan Ward (obscurely enough!) as the lead characters. I highly recommend the book.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:49 pm

The Dark Tower series would be excellent
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I never read those. Is it something that's ongoing, or is the series done now?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

The main series is seven books and it does end (sort of) but he wrote another book in 2012 that happens during the main series. Basically it's become his "middle earth" and he conceivably could write more material that exists in that world.
Unsound Designer