Maschine for beats, Ableton for arranging?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nvnn

Maschine for beats, Ableton for arranging?

Post by nvnn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Hey guys, I need some expert advice!

I'm primarily an Ableton user, however since buying Maschine and using Maschine 2.0, I much prefer making beats with the hardware and the M2.0 software!

However... I do NOT like arranging the song in Maschine - although I'm new to arranging in Maschine, I feel that it is extremely clunky and non ergonomic to say the least, so I'd like to continue using the Maschine for beats, but merely incorporate it with Live - which I feel is much better (and I'm much better with!)

My question to you is: What method would you recommend for this approach?

Before, I've made beats in Maschine and dragged the individual audio files for every sound into Ableton which was a painless process and made arranging a world easier! HOWEVER, through this method you do lose the ability to use the Automation of Maschine, which would be perfect for build-ups and drops (and all movement throughout the track) due to the form of "flattening" of the midi files into audio strips.

In summary, I need the arrangement window of Ableton to lay out the beats made in Maschine, whilst retaining the ability to automate Maschine's parameters? A bonus would also be to have every sound from Maschine in a seperate Ableton track for total control - although I guess I could get used to not having this ability (although preferable!).

Sorry for waffling, and I hope I can get my answer!

Thanks!

invol

Re: Maschine for beats, Ableton for arranging?

Post by invol » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:55 am

You can setup clips in Live to launch the scenes in Maschine... I prefer the program change method personally. But if you want, you can also mix and match dragged clips with Machine's scenes, which is probably best.