Session drums multimic users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Session drums multimic users

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Has anyone figured out a way to route the microphone groups out of the New Live 9 version of Session drums.

The Old Live 8 version was a bit of a mess, but at least they provided the Drum Rack sends as groups for the various mic groupings "room", "overhead" , "snare bottom", etc.

In the L9 version they seem to have no clue what they are doing. The drum voices are all instrument racks and so lack any output routing facility. If I want to make a microphone mix alteration I have to do it manually on every single drum voice.

Has anyone found a workaround to this idiocy?
For example : a Compressor sidechain input as a routing device? even a max device to pull audio streams?
I can tell this rack has been put together by someone who has never used a multimic kit, and has no conception how they are used.

Jekblad

Re: Session drums multimic users

Post by Jekblad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm

if you're willing to mix differently the new setup works ok... until you want to change the level of the room mic across the whole kit. Obviously not ideal.

the only workaround I can think of... take the internal, overhead etc and drag them to a new pad.

now take all those new chains and set them to receive the proper notes to effectively replace the inst rack that was on the pad.

create returns for each mic in the drum rack. create returns for each mic in the mixer, and route them accordingly.

now mute the drum channel and all audio comes through the returns. Rinse and repeat 40-50 individual instruments and a few hours later you'll have ONE drumset you can use in this manner that can't be used in any other set. :)

easy!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Angstrom wrote: In the L9 version they seem to have no clue what they are doing. The drum voices are all instrument racks and so lack any output routing facility. If I want to make a microphone mix alteration I have to do it manually on every single drum voice. …

I can tell this rack has been put together by someone who has never used a multimic kit, and has no conception how they are used.
Have you raised this with Ableton support?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Jekblad wrote:if you're willing to mix differently the new setup works ok... until you want to change the level of the room mic across the whole kit. Obviously not ideal.

the only workaround I can think of... take the internal, overhead etc and drag them to a new pad....

:lol:

Yeah, I did it slightly differently. I unmapped the top row of macros in each drum voice, the links to the Sampler volume which only went down to -35db ! Also I killed off that terrible main volume mapping. then remapped them all as Close, overhead, room, undersnare. Mapping the macro to the chain volumes. Then I mapped each of those in the voices to the parent instrument,so all the snare variants to the snare.

Aaaand then about 10 voices into a 25 drum set I realised I could be working on the actual song this was for, and I loaded up my Live 8 version of session drums instead.

@stromcraft.
Yes, actually when they were beta-ing these packs prior to L9 launch I mentioned they had lots of problems. At that time they had a silly filter cutoff macro on the voices too, and the voices were all set up like they were synthy drums. I complained that the flat layout (no drum groups: no "kiks", "snares" , groups like L8) made management tougher, not easier. Also they had removed the "pedal" macro on the hi hat, preventing proper playing.

I got a mail back that they were unsure why I wanted the pedal macro, so I explained what it was for, and they said they would add the pedal macro back in, which they did.

I then gave up.