Motu Traveler is HOTTT!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rahlo

Motu Traveler is HOTTT!!!!

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:52 am

I just used my new motu traveler to multitrack a live show I did with a band backing me up. 8 tracks were recorded simultaneously without a problem, and the firewire cuemix console made setting levels a breeze!!

I'm really into bus powered gear these days, and I would recommend this audio interface to anyone with no qualms whatsoever! It's bus powered, can do 24 bit 192 khz, and easily fits into my m-audio bag with my powerbook. And needless to say, it works flawlessly with Live!

And no, I'm not afiliated with Motu and any way! :wink:
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:30 am

nice one Rahlo.

man you go through audio interfaces like i go through milk. :P

so you'll be holding onto the Traveller for a while now then ?

Rahlo

Re: Motu Traveler is HOTTT!!!!

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:31 am

yeah, always looking for one that'll make my set up and tear down easier and faster, as a lot of my shows have been just me these past couple of years. When on the bill with other bands, it's better for me to be able to get off the stage within a minute or two and get out into the audience.

Plus, one day, I'm hoping to grow up and be as big a tech geek as you and montrealbreaks!

Seriously though, the sound of the traveler is even better than the 828 mk2 to me. Which reminds me-- do you know anybody looking for a mint condition 828 mk2?
peace,

rahlo

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:55 am

rahlo wrote: Seriously though, the sound of the traveler is even better than the 828 mk2 to me. Which reminds me-- do you know anybody looking for a mint condition 828 mk2?
post that forsale on the OSX Audio marketplace.
I'll vouch for you.

they love the 828mk2 over there, just don't tell them what you think of it compared to the traveller :wink:

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:24 am

AdamJay wrote:
rahlo wrote: Seriously though, the sound of the traveler is even better than the 828 mk2 to me. Which reminds me-- do you know anybody looking for a mint condition 828 mk2?
post that forsale on the OSX Audio marketplace.
I'll vouch for you.

they love the 828mk2 over there, just don't tell them what you think of it compared to the traveller :wink:
yeah, I gathered as much! I'ma hook that up right away!

dood, did you get pro tools m-powered? whaddya think?
peace,

rahlo

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:48 am

rahlo wrote:
dood, did you get pro tools m-powered? whaddya think?
i tried the demo.
wasn't impressed. but i'm a midi whore.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:24 am

guys, did you have another Live workshop yet?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Is it bus powered on a PC laptop too? Or do I need a power adapter?

Thanks

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:50 pm

if your pc laptop has a 6-pin firewire output it's bus-powered. It's not likely, though.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

BLuE_Lu

Post by BLuE_Lu » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:21 pm

rahlo wrote:I just used my new motu traveler to multitrack a live show I did with a band backing me up. 8 tracks were recorded simultaneously without a problem, and the firewire cuemix console made setting levels a breeze!!

I'm really into bus powered gear these days, and I would recommend this audio interface to anyone with no qualms whatsoever! It's bus powered, can do 24 bit 192 khz, and easily fits into my m-audio bag with my powerbook. And needless to say, it works flawlessly with Live!

:
I wonder how the traveler compares to the metric halo interfaces, especially the preamp section. The 828mk2 was known for its notquite high quality presl, is the traveller any better? Thanx for any input,

Blue

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:40 pm

yo Rahlo, would love to hear audio of you with the band, or at least hear more about the band lineup (bass, drums, guitar, keys?). Hope all is well with you and yours,

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:38 pm

Machinate wrote:guys, did you have another Live workshop yet?
yea, last tuesday.
i got to finger Rahlo's trigger finger. 8O :lol:

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:42 pm

BLuE_Lu wrote:
I wonder how the traveler compares to the metric halo interfaces, especially the preamp section. The 828mk2 was known for its notquite high quality pres, is the traveller any better? Thanx for any input,

Blue
I read somewhere that the pres on the traveler were the same as ones used in the motu HD series, but I have no way of confirming that other than to say that I think it sounds better in the high end—but that's purely a subjective observation and should be taken as such. I haven't run any tests or spoken to anyone at MOTU.

I'll be at NAMM in a few weeks. If Motu is there, I'll mos def find out the answer to that question.
peace,

rahlo

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:55 pm

quandry wrote:yo Rahlo, would love to hear audio of you with the band, or at least hear more about the band lineup (bass, drums, guitar, keys?). Hope all is well with you and yours,

Ryan
Ryan,

I've been wanting to get in touch with you, but couldn't find your number anywhere. The fam is good, man. Thanks for asking! How's yours? You still in Charlottesville?

The show this past Saturday was with a really dope up and coming local band. They're more on the rock side of things, but did a nice job translating my tracks to their instrumentation. We had a drummer (who switched back and forth between his acoustic set and a drum machine), bass, lead and rhythm guitars. We had everything all set up nicely, but then the friggin' sound man changed some of the patching at the last minute as I was going up on the stage, so we didn't get the first two songs recorded. I wasn't happy. :evil: I had a pro video chick there and a couple of volunteers all filming the performance b/c I was planning to edit the video myself in imovie, then sync my multitracked/mixed audio with the video to produce a dvd/live cd package from this event (there must've been about 1000 to 1500 people there). Oh well, . . .

Dood, I'ma be up your way in August. I've got some upcoming shows at Langley and some other places in VA. I wanna try to go back to that place that we played together last summer. PM me with your phone number so I can hit you up.
peace,

rahlo

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Machinate wrote:if your pc laptop has a 6-pin firewire output it's bus-powered. It's not likely, though.
From experience, it actually seems that very few 6-pin pc ports are bus powered... also very few of them even have a 6-pin port. PCMCIA cards also lack bus power, so even if they have a 6-pin port do not expect them to have bus power.