APC40 vs Push for macro control live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrick.olson86

APC40 vs Push for macro control live?

Post by patrick.olson86 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Real quick for those who have used both. What are your thoughts on controlling group macros in live (so like an instrument rack/audio effect rack) on the APC vs Push? I know one person who when he first got the Push said that he liked the layout of the APC40 MK1 better for controlling macros, but that's before he got acclimated to the Push. He has since moved away so I don't know his opinion now.

What do you guys think? Push reminds me more of Maschine with the 8 macro knobs on the top, but the APC40 seems more intuitive as the knobs are laid out just like the macros are in the live rack. For those who have used both, do you find performing live with one or the other is better/more intuitive?

THanks -
Pat

Matt_Quinn

Re: APC40 vs Push for macro control live?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Can't comment on Push vs APC, but I do have an APC, and love the fact that it's laid out *exactly* like the on screen macros. The device control is probably the single part of the APC I touch the most actually. And for me, having the hardware in a different layout than what's on screen is not nearly as productive, too much looking back & forth.

I wish *to god* Akai/Ableton would break the Device control section off of the APC exactly as is, and sell them as units to compete with the Novation Nocturn. I would be so happy if I could buy 5-6 of them and put them in a rack, and lock them to various devices in my set. I tried a nocturn for a while, but same problem as you are afraid of, I was constantly trying to figure out which knob mapped to what on-screen control.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:54 pm

I think it was Korg who used to make one of their nano-controller line type products that was just what you mentioned. It was a single unit, retailed for like sixty dollars US, and had 2x4 macro knobs. It was perfect, and I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 pm

What makes Push superior is the screen: parameter names and values. So really no contest.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:55 pm

i sold my push and still use my apc .. mostly for this exact reason. as long as you know your macros (its only 8 parameters) its much faster and better laid out (in my opinion).