Transferring project files from computer to computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tastypants

Transferring project files from computer to computer

Post by tastypants » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello. I am going to attempt to move a project from my laptop to my computer. I come here to ask for assistance:

I am trying to make a checklist of what I need to bring over to my D.A.W on my computer..

i don't know where to begin really.. I know I must obtain the Midi information, along with the audio itself. I have the same plug-ins on both the laptop and computer..

Any help on where I should start?
The Brotherhood Shall Prevail

Hermanus

Re: Transferring project files from computer to computer

Post by Hermanus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51 pm

I was as bored as tired to move projects from laptop to desktop with no libraries corresponding from one computer to the other.

So I moved every libraries [live 7 - Live 8 - Live 9] on an external Hard drive disk.
I save every project and wave files as well on this exclusive drive for music production.
I only have to unplug and replug the hdd to the computer in use.
No worry anymore about missing soundfiles or missing racks

my two cents :idea:

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:10 am

I use google drive and have never looked back. My user library and project files are stored in a folder in google drive. This is on your hard drive but also syncs to a cloud. My other pc also has google drive and also syncs to this. Thus, I never have to think about anything. As soon as you save/edit anything, the changes are uploaded. All computers are always synced. The first 15 gig is free. I pay $2/month for 100gb. Peanuts. It's beautiful, this system.

Bonus benefit = if your home burns down or your HD crashes, all your work is still safe.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 am

tastypants wrote:Hello. I am going to attempt to move a project from my laptop to my computer. I come here to ask for assistance:

I am trying to make a checklist of what I need to bring over to my D.A.W on my computer..

i don't know where to begin really.. I know I must obtain the Midi information, along with the audio itself. I have the same plug-ins on both the laptop and computer..

Any help on where I should start?
Your laptop isn't a computer? :)
Splice is free and a great help. Manage files in Live and makes sure you install the same packs and plug-ins on both machines.
Make some music!