Syncing hardware drum machines? DSI Tempest slaved to Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
samtastic

Syncing hardware drum machines? DSI Tempest slaved to Live

Post by samtastic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:40 am

i'm having a problem getting my DSI Tempest to sync with Live, running Live as the master.

i've been through this tutorial;

http://shrubbery.homeip.net/c/display/W ... leton+Live

and also Kiva's video (? Dubspot);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGV9mCnxYoo

whatever i do, i cannot record the Tempest on beat. it always falls *at least* 15ms behind the beat. i've tried changing the Driver Error Compensation settings, i've tried positive and negative settings. i can never get it falling closer than 15ms behind the beat. i've tried working with the External Instrument device. I've tried track monitoring set to In or Auto or Off.

I feel like i've tried everything, and it is still out of time…. but perhaps i've missed something obvious…

i'm using Live 9.1, running a Macbook Pro on OS 10.6.8. I've tried to get the Tempest synced up using my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 sound card, i've also tried directly into the Macbook's 3.55mm input (i thought the sound card might be adding to the latency). i've tried syncing the Tempest via a USB cable and also via a MIDI cable. and i've also tried an older version of Live (8.2.5). i've also played around with different Buffer Sizes, but even the smallest one won't allow me to record closer than 15ms.

i can work around this problem for studio productions (by warping the recording after the performance), but it makes a live-set pretty daunting… it's always out of time… i really want to get Live and the Tempest singing together in time.

i've spent hours trying different things out today, and i have got nowhere:(

if you have any suggestions, please speak up:)

Chris Allen

Re: Syncing hardware drum machines? DSI Tempest slaved to Live

Post by Chris Allen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:25 am

Hi,
You need to adjust the midi clock sync delay under your midi preferences.

Hope this helps man!
-Chris

samtastic

Post by samtastic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm

ahah!! i think i see where i've gone wrong... i didnt unfold the full MIDI options... i've been messing with the Driver Error Compensation slider, when i should be adjusting the MIDI Clock Sync Delay...

thanks so much:) I've since dismantled the set-up... so i'll give it another shot in the morning:) ...that sure looks promising:- D

Chris Allen

Post by Chris Allen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:28 am

No problem!Hope it works out for ya man! :D
-Chris

samtastic

Post by samtastic » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:34 am

it did:) it worked. exactly. i completely missed that little part of the MIDI settings. oopsy! many thanks:) got it all synced nicely today:)