Websites for artists

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SLEEarts

Websites for artists

Post by SLEEarts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Hello there,

I've really been hoping to leave this up to a record label, but in spite of some tempting offers I'm going to be self releasing two albums I've recently completed. So. I need a website. I'm not skilled with HTML or CSS, so I've been looking around at the usual options like Squarespace, Wix, Jimodo, Weebly, google sites, etc.

It's unclear to me if any of these options can meet my needs, especially when it comes to selling copies of my music. Here's what I need:

-A small site, 3-4 pages max. I can generate all of the media, but I need help with the layout and design of the pages themselves.
-One of these pages will be an online store selling multiple albums and singles. I'd like to be able to instantly deliver digital downloads after a sale, including after the purchase of a physical disc. Some albums may be as large as 2-3 GB in size. Obviously, I would need to be notified when a physical copy sells with the buyer's mailing address.
-The ability to add and remove content on my own would be a huge plus, including new items for sale.

What services do you folks use to make these things happen?

Thanks,

Matt

Tarekith

Re: Websites for artists

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Why not just use Bandcamp?

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Mainly the fee. I'll probably set up a bandcamp page, but I'd also like an option where I keep ALL the money.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:29 pm

SLEEarts wrote:I'd also like an option where I keep ALL the money.
I don't think that exists. You could set up a free wordpress page, but then you would still have to pay the site hosting.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:19 pm

I've run into another issue on Bandcamp. I have an album that is one single 42 minute track. Bandcamp says they limit the size of the uploads, so that won't work at all. I'd also like to release it in the studio quality 24 bit 96 khz format, but obviously this exceeds their max file size.

CFM

Post by CFM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:11 pm

bandcamp - I have ran my own site and a bandcamp site. If you run your own site without any html or coding experience you will find all those easy build sites rather frustrating. Although many have ecommerce portals you will have to pay for this feature within the package you buy. I'd say the monthly cost of paying for a host would outweigh the percentage you will be paying to bandcamp.

Large files on bandcamp - add part of the track as a free stream.
Bandcamp allows you the option to sell physical copies.

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Good suggestions, thanks.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Unless you’re really established I don’t know how anybody would find your music to purchase if it’s not available on iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp, Beatport, etc. I think a lot of music purchases happen as a result of discovery on established retail sites and streaming services.

If you want to be bold you can go the Pretty Lights method and give all your music away for free on your own site but also sell it on the retail sites.

CFM

Post by CFM » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:23 pm

You could try something like

https://bandzoogle.com/

12.49/month Billed annually,

or $14.95/month

However, I would still say Bandcamp is the better option just for selling.

jhooker

Post by jhooker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:29 am

I found that posting your needs on CraigList (large cities) brings a lot of talent without the high prices that most charge.

jim