Problem with midi patterns

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Works94

Problem with midi patterns

Post by Works94 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi, I'm trying to move this so that the second beat in the pattern is the beginning, but whenever I do the whole pattern seems to change it's sound.

Is anyone familiar with this or could perhaps explain to a newbie why this happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhr-4tWomwU

Thanks.

tkarmakid

Re: Problem with midi patterns

Post by tkarmakid » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:37 pm

It is strange for sure. If I had to guess, it seems that whatever instrument you are using the polyphony may be set to 1 note, monophonic. So, only one octave would play - the first to hit. If this is the case then before adjusting the start point, the lower octave hits first, but after moving the start point the higher note is playing because maybe the lower note is just barely before the beat, and the higher is on the beat. Check the polyphony.
Anyway, in case you aren't aware, you can also set the start point by moving the triangle playhead manually.
Hope you figure it out, its a weird one! Let us know.

chrk

Re: Problem with midi patterns

Post by chrk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 am

tkarmakid wrote:If I had to guess, it seems that whatever instrument you are using the polyphony may be set to 1 note, monophonic. So, only one octave would play - the first to hit. If this is the case then before adjusting the start point, the lower octave hits first, but after moving the start point the higher note is playing...
Good observation. I've had the same thought yesterday and played around with it. Exatctly this happened with an Analog patch set to one voice.
... because maybe the lower note is just barely before the beat, and the higher is on the beat.
That's not neccessarily true, my notes were quantised to the beat, so both notes of the interval should be on spot, but midi is a serial protocol... - Moving one note of the interval off by a tick resulted in a glide from earlier to later note.