Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by BoddAH » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm

How cheap can you guys be? $ 30 is not “overpriced” for a glossy 350 page textured hard-cover book. It wouldn’t be expensive for a popular novel let alone a very specific and technical book. Do you have any idea how much university course books cost?

I haven’t received it yet but I spend the last day reading the website and this book looks incredibly useful and fascinating. Some things are obvious and logical but it’s still nice to have all of this written down in a single reference book. It is well structured into bite-sized chapters which helps bringing a little order and organization to our little creative problem-solving brains.
I have a feeling this book will always remain at hand in my studio. I really think it has the potential to become a new classic. The ultimate creative bible of the electronic producer. 8)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Being fortunate to be in the UK, it only cost me £16 + £4 shipping. Less than a night out for what seems to be a most enjoyable read.

But I get where re:dream's coming from - R566 IS expensive. Unfortunately so because the Rand is very weak against the euro, and the book ships from Germany.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 pm

And please read my words, dude. :P I revised my 'overpriced'. I went down to 'not a steal.' You can't complain about that. Fuck, I revised my opinion and allowed a forum member to actually get me to admit in writing that I was wrong. Who does that these days? On this forum? :evil: Sheesh. 8O 8O

Plus I bought it. 8)

maara

Post by maara » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Any idea what "Coming to Amazon Kindle Store and Apple iBooks soon." means? - I hate the "coming soon" timeframe...- why you can't say if it will be tomorrow, next week, next month or whatever??? :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Live Suite 9+M4L+APC40+MOTU Ultralite MK3+Maschine MK2+AXIOM 25

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Just read the sample chapters, and they're excellent. This looks like a great read. And I agree that 30 bucks isn't too much for a hard-bound physical package....

guess I gotta get it!
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 pm

maara wrote:Any idea what "Coming to Amazon Kindle Store and Apple iBooks soon." means? - I hate the "coming soon" timeframe...- why you can't say if it will be tomorrow, next week, next month or whatever??? :roll:

I don’t know where the print industry is at this point in history, but unless they are operating on a print on individual demand basis then Ableton probably has some hardcopy inventory to burn through before they offer digital copies.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

I think they must have sold quite a few, i ordered mine yesterday and it still hasn't been dispatched yet (In the past when i've ordered stuff from their web shop it's dispatched almost immediately).

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote:look string, I'm as annoyed as just about everyone here by that guy complaining about his 100 Dollar purchase (while it's clear he's not even poor since he apparently can afford Maschine Studio), but could you please lay off the cutesy ageisms? It's seriously grating!
Last time you called me out on that I concded that I was wrong and you were right.

But this time this old prick needs to go gentle into that good night.
Unsound Designer

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I read through a little bit, lots of good stuff I kind of already know and some things I actually don't agree with...

" Learn to be OK with being miserable, because this will be a regular part of your existence as a creative musician."

No! :x

I have specifically worked to overcome this. I am learning to enjoy the entire process and if I don't; I find a way to make it enjoyable by changing my process.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

alekp

Post by alekp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 pm

I've read/watched so many tutorials, and interviews, and lectures, and articles that it's hard to find things that are new, interesting, or insightful anymore.
If I gain even in the slightest from this book (which I think I will), then it's definately worth $30. Small price to pay to better yourself.

also...

Good things normally cost money, and people don't work for free. If you think that's unreasonable then you're unreasonable..
:D

jbw

Post by jbw » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Someone should do a piece of incidental music on the creation of this book, call it: Making Book - the music. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jbw on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:I think they must have sold quite a few, i ordered mine yesterday and it still hasn't been dispatched yet (In the past when i've ordered stuff from their web shop it's dispatched almost immediately).
The ableton store lists the item as currently Out of Stock.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Airyck wrote:" Learn to be OK with being miserable, because this will be a regular part of your existence as a creative musician."

No! :x

I have specifically worked to overcome this. I am learning to enjoy the entire process and if I don't; I find a way to make it enjoyable by changing my process.
I agree with the book on this one, because as a guy who likes to create stuff, I've learnt through the years that misery is indeed a huge part of the process, and that you have to recognise when and why you're miserable to get through it each time.

I've nearly given up music because I tried to overcome it. Now that I've accepted it as part of the parcel, I've never been more comfortable with misery, and never been more productive.

Don't get me wrong - I love music and have to make music otherwise I feel completely empty, but I understand that much of the works produced which sound great at first will sometimes sound awful a day or three later, with utter disappointment setting in, deflating you and crushing motivation . This is the specific type of misery I'm talking about, but actual process of making music/jamming is something I almost always enjoy, regardless of how it sounds a week later.

I loathe all my music equally now, and I've never been happier.

...that last sentence was a little joke

Seriously though - it helps to accept it so that you can get through it. If you don't accept it - because most will experience it often - you might easily give up. I've now reached a stage where I know how to make what I hear in my head, with little effort, and more and more stuff sounds non-shit to me a week later. At this rate, my stuff will probably sound good to me a month later. !

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:32 pm

mholloway wrote:
puzzlefactory wrote:I think they must have sold quite a few, i ordered mine yesterday and it still hasn't been dispatched yet (In the past when i've ordered stuff from their web shop it's dispatched almost immediately).
The ableton store lists the item as currently Out of Stock.

Can't see that here. It doesn't say whether any product is in or out of stock...

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Maybe a third of what I read in the preview I definitely didn't need a reminder of. The other 2/3 were at least a little bit helpful in giving me perspective on my own techniques and workflow so I think I will probably pick this up.