Any difference between grouped tracks and a Bus

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobbilly

Any difference between grouped tracks and a Bus

Post by bobbilly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Is there any difference (sound wise) between routing tracks through a grouped track or send them to the 'in' of a dedicated track?

Alexander
Bob Billy

re:dream

Re: Any difference between grouped tracks and a Bus

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:52 pm

I'd like to know this too. I assume there's no difference soundwise, if I understand the Ableton Live audio fact sheet,but I am but an amateur. Perhaps the experts here can tell us for sure.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Should be identical. In fact, ever since the Group functionality appeared, I rarely use bus tracks anymore, at least not for the typical 'bus-ing' purpose. I just group channels and stick the 'bus' FX on the group (compression usually), this always feels more organized then messing with inputs/outputs.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm

bobbilly wrote:Is there any difference (sound wise) between routing tracks through a grouped track or send them to the 'in' of a dedicated track?
There is no difference except visually. There is a difference only when the group track is a rack track as that's a MIDI track that receives audio from its chains (as long as these haven't been extracted), which unlike a buss track that is audio-only.
Make some music!

B4Lasers

Post by B4Lasers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:49 am

being a mix engineer for many years using ableton i have always thought using the group as a mix buss sounded funny.
it always seems as if you simply send multiple tracks to a group track and do a simply strong hpf it will only hpf a few of the tracks sent & you will hear faint frequencys missed.
looking this if up this evening has helped me come to a BIG conclusion
use group tracks to keep things tidy
but use an audio track as a stereo or mono mix bus as it will treat whatever is sent to it as ONE
BREAKTHROUGH GENTLEMEN and WOMEN of the wonderful world of ABLETON LIVE :P :P :P
thank you,
B4Lasers

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

B4Lasers wrote:being a mix engineer for many years using ableton i have always thought using the group as a mix buss sounded funny.
it always seems as if you simply send multiple tracks to a group track and do a simply strong hpf it will only hpf a few of the tracks sent & you will hear faint frequencys missed.
looking this if up this evening has helped me come to a BIG conclusion
use group tracks to keep things tidy
but use an audio track as a stereo or mono mix bus as it will treat whatever is sent to it as ONE
BREAKTHROUGH GENTLEMEN and WOMEN of the wonderful world of ABLETON LIVE :P :P :P
thank you,
B4Lasers
I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you group tracks, and high-pass filter the group, only a few of the tracks in the group get high-pass filtered? That doesn't make sense to me. Care to elaborate?

Lojik

Post by Lojik » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:58 pm

I use bus tracks instead of groups because you can't group within groups. Other than that they are the same.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:47 am

and you can automate parameters on bus tracks.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:41 am

i don't use groups cause they create a track in launchpads' grids.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

CheekoStick

Post by CheekoStick » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm

mothergarage wrote:and you can automate parameters on bus tracks.
This is the reason I use bus over groups.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:54 pm

B4Lasers wrote:being a mix engineer for many years using ableton i have always thought using the group as a mix buss sounded funny.

I want to say that as the full spectrum audio tracks in this bussing setup below, with polarity (phase) reversed on "Buss" cancels out 100% without filtering it can't be the bussing in itself, but rather it's related to the filtering that isn't neutral nor is it exact even if duplicated.

When I add either Autofilter or Brainworx bx_Cleansweep 2 and duplicate and copy it to the phase reversed track, the pictured buss and group stops cancelling out which is interesting. But as it cancels out without filtering bussing or grouping would appear to be the same.

But for control I did another exact duplicate of tracks and a new buss, this time with the duplicated filtering active and polarity (phase) reversed:

Result: Total silence.

I'll make this a bug report.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Stromkraft wrote: I'll make this a bug report.
I did and when asked to send a set illustrating the issue I couldn't recreate the problem with a static filter nor could support. Dynamic filters will aways be different in execution, so that's why you need a second replicated buss and replicated tracks feeding it as control.

For now it appears to me that Groups and Busses are indeed the same.
Make some music!