Vocal distortion when recording HELP!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
COTO

Vocal distortion when recording HELP!

Post by COTO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:18 pm

I have a 2011 iMac i7 12G RAM, Live 9 32 bit with a cheap Focusrite interface running into it. For the life of me I cannot record vocals without distortion in the track. Levels are fine, it is not clipping. I cannot put the buffer lower than 128 without sounds breaking up, which introduces latency when recording, hampering or more oftentimes nullifying the vocal performance. Even with buffer at 128 there is still consistently distortion, turning up the buffer more from there only creates more problems with latency. I cannot figure this out; I feel that the computing power I have should be more than sufficient to record at low buffer rates but it seems this isn't the case? What am I missing here? Anything is appreciated!

Tarekith

Re: Vocal distortion when recording HELP!

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Man, what is it with people and issues with Focusrite soundcards lately?

Are you using the latest drivers for the card? Is your mic working correctly with other gear?

COTO

Post by COTO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:31 pm

@Tarekith Do you think it could be the interface? I did not have this problem in years past using an MBox. I do not believe I have ever updated the Focusrite drivers... have only had the box a few months though. The mic is a Blue Yeti, which coincidentally has its own built in interface. I have recorded with the mic using the built-in interface and had the same problem, though not to the degree that happens with the Focusrite. I am guessing the Blue interface is probably cheap as well. Thanks for the reply

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 pm

People pay hundreds of Euro's to get a distorted vocal sound!