Need help. I dont seem to have stretch notes function ?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
umbra88

Need help. I dont seem to have stretch notes function ?!

Post by umbra88 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:31 pm

so im trying to reverse a snare hit from midi and i heard stretch notes function is the way to go. I followed all the steps highlight midi notes and right click) and there is nothing underneath draw mode where i believe stretch notes should be and stretch notes isnt there at all. Can anyone please help?!

pinkpaint

Re: Need help. I dont seem to have stretch notes function ?!

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi,

Reverse in midi acts differently than reverse in audio. For audio it actually flips the sample like what you want. For midi it will reverse your selection of notes. Just draw some random midi notes and keep pressing reverse with a few notes highlighted and you will understand it. If I'm reversing something, I do it in audio. You can press sample hot swap in your drum rack or sampler and it will highlight your sample in browser just drag that to an audio track and reverse it.

umbra88

Post by umbra88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 am

Thanks for the response man! I looked up quite a few things about this and everyone was recommending either stretch note or freezing the track. This is the best way to do it though. Works like a charm :)

Still would like to know why I dont have the stretch note option though? thats weird
Many Many thanks bruddah

umbra88

Post by umbra88 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:46 pm

So I tried this same technique but on a drum rack that had audio I sliced into midi instead of an already midi drum, does that make since? And I think because it is warp markers from audio sliced to midi drum rack the hot swap method doesn't work. On top of that through the process of trying to figure this out I saved the drum rack I was using as the drum rack that always comes up when I clck drum rack and I can't figure out how to go back to a blank drum rack. This is killing me, I just want to reverse some drum!!!
Can anyone help? Should I start a new thread? Still curious why I don't have a note stretch option

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Umbra88,

The stretch midi note function is now built in to the midi window so isn't in the options that pop up when you right click on the highlighted notes. Have a look above the first and last midi notes, you should see the markers that you click on.

Hope this helps.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Stace30 wrote:Hi Umbra88,

The stretch midi note function is now built in to the midi window so isn't in the options that pop up when you right click on the highlighted notes. Have a look above the first and last midi notes, you should see the markers that you click on.
This sound interesting. The only stretch I've done has been on audio. What does stretch midi note do? I assume there is cut up loop in Sampler, or? Or is it a Simpler function?
Make some music!

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:32 am

This sound interesting. The only stretch I've done has been on audio. What does stretch midi note do? I assume there is cut up loop in Sampler, or? Or is it a Simpler function?
In the older versions of Live you could open up a midi clip and highlight the notes and right click on them and then choose the stretch midi notes option. In the new version the option is built in at the top of the midi clip view (They show up once you've highlighted the midi notes).

What I like to do to come up with some interesting midi sequences is play a 4 bar midi sequence and then highlight the midi notes, and you will see the stretch note tags at the start of the first midi note and another one at the start of the last midi note, I then make the midi note sequence shorter (by click and drag the last stretch note tag) and then quantise to whatever you want to get it sitting how you want it.

I haven't sat down in front of Live for a couple of weeks due to my little ankle biter getting all my attention. So if anything doesn't make sense, sorry mate.

Oh yeah, this option is for anything that uses midi view and I think it shows as Stretch notes not Stretch midi notes :D

Al :)
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Stace30 wrote: you will see the stretch note tags at the start of the first midi note and another one at the start of the last midi note, I then make the midi note sequence shorter (by click and drag the last stretch note tag) and then quantise to whatever you want to get it sitting how you want it.
Ah, OK now I know what you're talking about. I was kinda imagining that Simpler/Sampler would stretch the audio that gets triggered when the MIDI was stretched or shrunken. Wishful thinking I guess.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 am

Stormkraft wrote:I was kinda imagining that Simpler/Sampler would stretch the audio that gets triggered when the MIDI was stretched or shrunken.
Wouldn't that be something! :wink: