Solid Cyber Monday Mixing/Mastering plug in deals

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Solid Cyber Monday Mixing/Mastering plug in deals

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Both both recently, and happy with the purchases.

Track Spacer- A completely different way to duck or make space in two or more tracks. Ducks a selected EQ frequency, IMO much more transparent than compression or gating. 50% off or $32usd.
http://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer.php

Magic A/B - Allows you to preview unaltered fished tracks against your current mix and master. This is IMO very much a great thing due to easy control of db levels, which will fool you into thinking your mix isn't as loud etc. as iTunes... Also 50% 0ff or $26.28
https://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab

I suppose with careful set up in Live you might be able to make a Max For Live audio player that you could sit on the master past your FX chain, but it would probably never be this smooth, same is true for making a 32 EQs + 32 compressors to mimic what Trackspacer does, but right now both can be had for under $60. 8)

tedlogan

Re: Solid Cyber Monday Mixing/Mastering plug in deals

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Magic A/B seems like a great reference and learning tool. Of course you can set up your own references in Live, or play stuff via another music player, but as you say - it will never be as smooth as this. Cheap too. Sold :)

Cheers for the heads-up. I've been successfully avoiding buying anything the last few weeks (except erm..Push 2), but this tool is gonna be quite useful.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 pm

tedlogan wrote:Magic A/B seems like a great reference and learning tool. Of course you can set up your own references in Live, or play stuff via another music player, but as you say - it will never be as smooth as this. Cheap too. Sold :)

Cheers for the heads-up. I've been successfully avoiding buying anything the last few weeks (except erm..Push 2), but this tool is gonna be quite useful.
I was surprised at how useful. The fact you can load in 4 different reference mixes helps you not over do it because x groups squashed their song etc. :)

Track Spacer also, but like any sort of volume/EQ device it's difference from what's available is more subtle. The demo videos do it no justice though.
Basically being able to hone in on just the low end of a bass VS kid drum is far more useful than you would think. For me anyway most of the time when ducking bass for the kick, the effect is too strong, or not noticeable really.

I'm trying to avoid buying Push 2, but I may fail, there are 15-20% store wide sales that cut the price down to something more like reasonable,

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Magic A/B seems like a great reference and learning tool. Of course you can set up your own references in Live, or play stuff via another music player, but as you say - it will never be as smooth as this. Cheap too. Sold :)

I was surprised at how useful. The fact you can load in 4 different reference mixes helps you not over do it because x groups squashed their song etc. :)

Track Spacer also, but like any sort of volume/EQ device it's difference from what's available is more subtle. The demo videos do it no justice though.
Basically being able to hone in on just the low end of a bass VS kid drum is far more useful than you would think. For me anyway most of the time when ducking bass for the kick, the effect is too strong, or not noticeable really.

I'm trying to avoid buying Push 2, but I may fail, there are 15-20% store wide sales that cut the price down to something more like reasonable,
Yeah playing with Magic A/B now, on Push 2 - the automapped parameters are perfect already. REALLY good stuff. Turn a knob to scroll between 9 ref tracks, a/b etc...excellent

Track Spacer - I don't do that much frequency ducking, but when I do, I just use a rack with 3 chains, each with a multiband dynamics Live device soloed to one band, honing in on whatever frequency. Glue compressor after each. It works well.

Push 2 - I was dithering for weeks. Even when I brought it home I felt indifferent feeling like I probably wasted my money for minor upgrades. I'm very happy to say that this has not been the case - it is far superior in every way (bar some to-be-fixed small issues) and I cannot imagine using V1 again. While I got used to navigating and sound shaping etc on the old one, it was never a joy. It is a joy on V2. I could fawn over it all night, but this is not the thread for it, and I need to go fine-tune my Magic A/B ref sets.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Magic A/B reminded me that there is a function on Fabfilter’s Pro-Q 2 where it will match the EQ to another track you feed it. Of course they aren’t suggesting it’s a fix all mastering tool, but...

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:10 pm

an alternative to Magic A/B is MCompare:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins ... d=MCompare

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:34 am

I've used MCompare. It's nice. I keep forgetting I have it though. ;)

Once I get to the mix stage, I like to make a copy of my previous mixdown plus save a version of the project and A/B compare that way.