I REALLY need some help, man.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
CharronCharron

I REALLY need some help, man.

Post by CharronCharron » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Okay so i bought the Korg Ppadkontroller and i have it all set up to where i can use it. My problem is that i can only seem to use is with the Simpler plug in and that only allows me to use the kits that ableton has to offer which is fine but i know that my Korg comes with its own sounds i can not for the life of me figure out how to use them.

P.s I have found a solution for this online but they say to use external device or drum rack. I have Live8 i believe, and i do not see an option for me to use the "External Device" instrument or the "Drum Rack" instrument.

yur2die4

Re: I REALLY need some help, man.

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 am

Which controller?? The Korg PadKontrol does not have sounds. It is only a midi controller. It triggers sounds that are on your computer.

CharronCharron

Post by CharronCharron » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Which controller?? The Korg PadKontrol does not have sounds. It is only a midi controller. It triggers sounds that are on your computer.
Oh wow I must have been very misinformed i was under the impression thaty korg padcontroller had kits built into it.thank you for correcting me but another question i have is that i don't have external instrument or drum rack in my ableton? I see drum rack but it's only a folder containing sounds. Any help? Because of this i can't figure out how to creat custom drum kits without using impulse.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Which version of Live do you have? There are Lite, Standard, and Suite.

Lite may have limitations on available devices. Normally these would be in the Instruments category of the browser.

You say you have 'Impulse', there should also be 'Simpler' in the list.

Not everyone gets this right away but, there are two ways to load things in the Instruments section. You can either click the arrow that drops down presets, or you can drag (or double click) the main device for a blank preset of the instrument.

In the case of Impulse, you can click the arrow and it'll list several presets. But if you drag in the thing titled 'Impulse' itself, you will get a blank instrument you can use.

This may also be the case with Drum Racks. Either that, or it may not be available on your version.

For the PadKontrol, it does not gone with sounds, but it does have multiple preset layouts. Those layouts can let you use the PadKontrol in different kinds of ways. Or you can program your own layouts. So Layout 1 might be all notes, and layout 2 might be all mutes, or layout 3 might be notes in a certain order.
That's more advanced stuff though, and I wouldn't advise tinkering too much until you are more comfortable.

CharronCharron

Post by CharronCharron » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Wow thank you for all your help i really appreciate it. I have Live Intro 8.6 so im guessing my version just does not support those? also i do know how to use impulse the way you described however i do have simpler as well but i do not know how to create presets from scratch in simpler everytime i try to remove or add a new sound it makes a whole new simpler rack. If you have any tips on that, that would be great.

prossi78

Post by prossi78 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Youtube is your friend. :) Search for these topics there. Ton of tutorials for beginners and upwards.