Copying sound to new track...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jcgaudaur

Copying sound to new track...

Post by jcgaudaur » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:42 am

Hello all. New proud Ableton user here. Just need help...

I have created a great sound in the clip window, and it is a pad sound that i am using for the verse section of a song. I would love to use exactly the same sound in the chorus, but i don't know how to duplicate the sound without using the same chords as are in the verse section of the song. In other words, i'm playing different chords for the chorus as opposed to the verse, but i want the same pad sound as the verses. I did a ton of parameter changes, and i can't remember how i got to the sound i am currently using for the verses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Craig G.

jcgaudaur

Re: Copying sound to new track...

Post by jcgaudaur » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:45 am

Please, anyone. I need Ableton Master's help. I'm just a newbie! Help me, please!!! Thanks for looking...

Craig G.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 am

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:04 pm

jcgaudaur wrote:Hello all. New proud Ableton user here. Just need help...

I have created a great sound in the clip window, and it is a pad sound that i am using for the verse section of a song. I would love to use exactly the same sound in the chorus, but i don't know how to duplicate the sound without using the same chords as are in the verse section of the song. In other words, i'm playing different chords for the chorus as opposed to the verse, but i want the same pad sound as the verses. I did a ton of parameter changes, and i can't remember how i got to the sound i am currently using for the verses.
Where does the sound originate from? Is it one of the synths in Live or a third party, a loop, a sample? I assume with play you mean you have recorded an instrument like Analog or another of the Live softsynths and its MIDI notes to a clip in a MIDI track? If you click on this clip you should see a piano roll with rectangles on. Thats the typical graphical representation of MIDI events. The other main type of track is audio is shown as waveforms and these clips cannot be directly played like an instrument — they can be triggered though, but I assume you're not doing that.

Are you working in Arrangement mode/View — You know where the clips go from left to right and you can shift into from the other view, Session, by pressing the tab button on your keyboard. Or are you in Session view where you see the mixer?

Clips in the same track
In both cases the basic principle is that as long as you're in the same track, in Session mode/view that is where clips are vertically under each other in the same column, i.e. the track and in Arrangement view clips that are horizontally next to each other are in the same track. When you playback in Arrangement the song goes from left to right.
This means that as long as clips to the left, your verse, are on the same level in Arrangement as clips that comes to the right of these, your chorus perhaps, will use the same sound.

Session view is more open ended, but all clips in the same MIDI track will always play back the same sounds (unless you reroute the MIDI, but that's something else). You are not locked to one mode, which can be bewildering sometimes.

Clips in Session and Arrangement are different
It can be confusing with these 2 modes as the view is one thing and playback is another. It's important to note that the clips are unique in each view. When you record a clip in one of these views, Session and Arrangement, and later change it somehow in the other view they will be different as they are 2 individual clips.

Like if you record a clip in Session mode and later record this playing back into Arrangement or if you copy it by hand, then if you make any edits to the Session clip later, these will not be reflected in the copy that you made earlier into Arrangement.

Playback
It's important then you know which clips you are listening to, the Arrangement clips, a scene in Session (A scene is made of clips on the same horizontal level in different tracks in Session view), different clips not on the same horizontal level in Session or even a combination of all of these.

To make sure you are playing back the Arrangement you need to make sure the "Back to Arrangement" button isn't colored. You find it in the Master track in Session view above the sends area:

and in Arrangement at the top right of the view:

To make sure you playback only Session first stop all tracks with the "Stop all clips" button in the master track ins Session to the left in the Session picture above. This will also color the "Back to Arrangement" button, kinda pink, to indicate the playback isn't fully from Arrangement.

Copy sounds
To copy sounds, originating from softsynths between tracks or songs, you can save presets and load the same synth in another track, even in another song, and then load the preset.

Or you can choose all the devices in the device view — which you toggle if you press shift - tab or choose from the menu View > Toggle Clip/Device View, then you copy the elected devices and go to the new track and paste them in.

The Manual is great
You really should do yourself a favor and read the manual. It's really well written and Live takes some time to get your head around. It's not like just any DAW I think.
Make some music!

sana48

Post by sana48 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Just right click the top of the track and duplicate, then change your chords.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 pm

sana48 wrote:Just right click the top of the track and duplicate, then change your chords.
Duplicate the track instead of just adding another clip in the same track?
Make some music!

sana48

Post by sana48 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
sana48 wrote:Just right click the top of the track and duplicate, then change your chords.
you are correct Stromkraft, seeing how he plans to use the clips at different points in the song (which I over-looked)

cheers

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:41 pm

sana48 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
you are correct Stromkraft, seeing how he plans to use the clips at different points in the song (which I over-looked)

cheers
Well, on second thought hacks, or indirect techniques, can also be learned from and duplicating a track is a perfectly legitimate action anyway. Soon enough you'll learn what duplication can be good for, provided you do them, and also what the backsides can be.

I'm all for experimentation instead of doing it the way you're supposed to. I think that's how you learn and have fun.

Cheers!
Make some music!