Turn off Quantize on Loop Position? --Can't Precisely Adjust

Discuss Push with other users.
elgrayso

Turn off Quantize on Loop Position? --Can't Precisely Adjust

Post by elgrayso » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:22 pm

I record some audio into a clip and use Push 2's "Clip" button to zoom in and change the loop position. However it jumps from 4.1.1 to 5.1.1 and I can't get the loop to start right where I need it. I can't find where to turn off this quantization that makes it jump forward in these large chunks.

Also, this is not Simpler mode, this is just a basic audio clip.

H20nly

Re: Turn off Quantize on Loop Position? --Can't Precisely Adjust

Post by H20nly » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:47 am

what if you turn off the grid?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:34 pm

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 am

That is a related question, but a different question. They both are an effort on my part to get a good understanding on how to effectively crop in on clips using Push.
That first question is about how the start point jumps to a random place when I try to loop a section of my midi clips which are in time with the tempo.

Anyways, this question is for when I record a vinyl sample into an audio track. It's very different from playing midi notes because the audio is a raw recording and has no relation to the project tempo yet. The first thing I need to do when making an audio loop is find the very start of the sample. However, the "Start" knob which determines the start of the sample only moves by increments of one bar. What I need is fine tuning like the "Nudge" option when you slice in the Simpler.

The manual and all the tutorials I've found start with the loop start position in the correct spot already. But what if you just recorded a sample and need to tell it where the start point is?
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using ... #clip-mode

H20nly, if you mean the "Fixed Grid", "Snap to Grid" or right-click "Grid>Off" options, those don't change it. I think those are settings for Arrangement view.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 am

elgrayso wrote:
H20nly, if you mean the "Fixed Grid", "Snap to Grid" or right-click "Grid>Off" options, those don't change it. I think those are settings for Arrangement view.
I did mean those.

Sorry it was an on the fly answer. I never use quantize, but what I thought I understood from your OP I interpreted as maybe being due to the grid. I often turn it off when I have a note or syllable that doesn't fit on the grid, but does fit in terms of placement; and yes, always in Arrange view.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Have you tried turning Loop off and holding Shift while adjusting start position? It might get down to 16ths, but yeah, as stated, might be best to do these kinds of edits outside of Push (with he exception maybe of loading the clip into a Simpler first).

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm

Yeah I've done the holding-shift thing and it moves in smaller chunks, but still not precise. I know that when Push 2 launched, I felt that part of the sales pitch was that it could be used as a sampler that let you get away from the computer for these basic sampling functions. It more than lives up to my expectations in most situations, but I'm surprised you can't precisely set your loop start point for audio clips.
I imagine more people will bring up this issue over time and they will add it. It would be cool to use Push for these sampling basics without as much mouse-clicking.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeah. I think it would make for a great feature request. I can see how it would be an expected way to do things.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 am

Did you try turning warp off?

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 pm

I dont remember if I tried seeing if that changed it. I can try when I get home

UPDATE: No, changing Warp did not fix it, but it was a good idea.