Copying / pasting warp markers of one clip to another

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Grill Pheiss

Copying / pasting warp markers of one clip to another

Post by Grill Pheiss » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:26 am

for the life of me I can't figure this one out. can you guys
tell me if it's possible for example to :

1) copy the warp markers of let's say a 4bar HI-HAT clip
2) paste/apply those warp markers to a 4bar clip of a completely different nature, essentially SLICING that clip according
to the hihat loop, hence BYPASSING ableton's automatic transient detection

anyone?

Stromkraft

Re: Copying / pasting warp markers of one clip to another

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:for the life of me I can't figure this one out. can you guys

2) paste/apply those warp markers to a 4bar clip of a completely different nature, essentially SLICING that clip according

anyone?
I think maybe you can investigate multitrack warping in Arrangement. This isn't, if it works like what I imagine at all, copying per se, but adding the same warp to multiple tracks. I'm not 100% positive this is indeed what I'm thinking of, so might be a dead end.
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:for the life of me I can't figure this one out. can you guys

anyone?
I think maybe you can investigate multitrack warping in Arrangement. This isn't, if it works like what I imagine at all, copying per se, but adding the same warp to multiple tracks. I'm not 100% positive this is indeed what I'm thinking of, so might be a dead end.
Thnx for the reply, no it's not at all what multitrack warping does.

But I can't believe something as basic as copying/pasting markers is not possible? I think I saw someone do this back when Live 7 was around... was this function taken out??

It wouldn;t make any sense

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:13 am

It's so simple I can't wrap my head around why it's not immediatly possible... the only extremelly cumbersome hack/workaround I could figure out
is to :

1 duplicate transient "guide" clip
2 in the wave edit window, SELECT ALL (ctrl - a)
3 ctrl-shift-u with 0% quantization, only to turn ON all the MARKERS
4 right click on the wave window, and select "manager sample"
5 swap the audio to the one of the "slave" clip (making sure it's the same lenght)
8 manually delete the non-orange, ableton detected transients and by that time I want to shoot my brains out... ableton.............
7 SELECT ALL the remaining orange transient markers, the ones that are from the master clip
8 INSERT all the transients according to the markers... ctrl-shift-i

and this is just a workflow killer, you don't want to do music after that

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:47 am

Grill Pheiss wrote:
But I can't believe something as basic as copying/pasting markers is not possible? I think I saw someone do this back when Live 7 was around... was this function taken out??

I did this workaround:
  • 1. Group the tracks
  • 2. Unwarp them
  • 3. Select both clips
  • 4. Warp the tracks
  • 5. Add warp markers to one of them
Result: Both clips have the same warp markers and when I move a marker in one of them the marker in the other clip move as well. I'm not certain grouping is strictly necessary, but just sharing this on work.

I know this is again not copy and paste, but still a good technique to know. Thanks for the opportunity.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am

I do have a vague memory of something involving the warp marker line in the editor, but I see no possibilities there to copy or paste. Maybe someone else knows what this could be about.
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:

I did this workaround:
  • 1. Group the tracks
  • 2. Unwarp them
  • 3. Select both clips
  • 4. Warp the tracks
Result: Both clips have the same warp markers and when I move a marker in one of them the marker in the other clip move as well. I'm not certain grouping is strictly necessary, but just sharing this on work.

I know this is again not copy and paste, but still a good technique to know. Thanks for the opportunity.
this works as well but you're still left with the rampants gray auto-detected transient that get in the way - there's no way to tell live to no do this?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:

I did this workaround:
  • 1. Group the tracks
  • 2. Unwarp them
  • 3. Select both clips
  • 4. Warp the tracks

this works as well but you're still left with the rampants gray auto-detected transient that get in the way - there's no way to tell live to no do this?
The only way I can think of is to turn off warping in the preferences and do warping manually. If this extends to transients I have never had to find out.
Make some music!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:this works as well but you're still left with the rampants gray auto-detected transient that get in the way - there's no way to tell live to no do this?
you can delete all transients from the popup menu when right-clicking in the clip's audio sample view.

as for the copy/pasting of warp markers - it was possible until it was dropped from Live 7 or 8 , but you can try this instead:

set the warp markers for one clip, then Duplicate it as many times as you need (e.g. you want drums, keys, vocals and guitar files warped the same, copy the file 3x so you have 4 clips). for each of the other 3 files, right-click its file name in the clip editor (to the left of the Warp button) and select Manage Sample File. in the Manager pane that appears, use the hotswap button to change the sample - the waveform will change but the warp markers will remain. as long as the multitrack files start from the same position, the warp markers will be in the correct place.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:04 pm

garyboozy wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:this works as well but you're still left with the rampants gray auto-detected transient that get in the way - there's no way to tell live to no do this?
you can delete all transients from the popup menu when right-clicking in the clip's audio sample view.

as for the copy/pasting of warp markers - it was possible until it was dropped from Live 7 or 8 , but you can try this instead:

set the warp markers for one clip, then Duplicate it as many times as you need (e.g. you want drums, keys, vocals and guitar files warped the same, copy the file 3x so you have 4 clips). for each of the other 3 files, right-click its file name in the clip editor (to the left of the Warp button) and select Manage Sample File. in the Manager pane that appears, use the hotswap button to change the sample - the waveform will change but the warp markers will remain. as long as the multitrack files start from the same position, the warp markers will be in the correct place.
yeah that's exactly what I have to do, as described in my post above...

so the function was in and got dropped? why the hell would they drop something like this? it cuts access to an immense amount of creative possibilities, I don;t
understand what goes on in the mind of developpers - do you know if any reason was given? cause it's a freaking nightmare now, brain just has to work too much, it's not music

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:
garyboozy wrote:

yeah that's exactly what I have to do, as described in my post above...

so the function was in and got dropped? why the hell would they drop something like this? it cuts access to an immense amount of creative possibilities, I don;t
understand what goes on in the mind of developpers - do you know if any reason was given? cause it's a freaking nightmare now, brain just has to work too much, it's not music
Hah, sorry i missed that post of yours.
Yea, c/p of warp markers was dropped when they changed the way warp marker editing works.
Originally, when you moved warp markers, the waveform stayed still and the time/bar ruler stretched.
Then they changed it so moving warp markers made the waveform itself visibly stretch/shorten. Copy/pasting of markers didnt make the transition. It was moaned about at the time but still no change.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:21 am

garyboozy wrote: Hah, sorry i missed that post of yours.
Yea, c/p of warp markers was dropped when they changed the way warp marker editing works.
Originally, when you moved warp markers, the waveform stayed still and the time/bar ruler stretched.
Then they changed it so moving warp markers made the waveform itself visibly stretch/shorten. Copy/pasting of markers didnt make the transition. It was moaned about at the time but still no change.
i'm speechless...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:12 am

garyboozy wrote: Then they changed it so moving warp markers made the waveform itself visibly stretch/shorten.
Which certainly is a feature.
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
garyboozy wrote: Then they changed it so moving warp markers made the waveform itself visibly stretch/shorten.
maybe so but to the detriment of another core feature! #speechless

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
maybe so but to the detriment of another core feature! #speechless
I'm not following. That feature didn't have to remove the copy/paste of warp markers.
Make some music!