RIP Phife Dawg

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

RIP Phife Dawg

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:39 am

RIP Phife... thanks for your part in some of the best tracks in hip-hop and for being one of the best parts of it.

Those shows you did with De La when the Tribe was no more were just as great! Say hi to GURU for me...

stringtapper

Re: RIP Phife Dawg

Post by stringtapper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 am

Wtf? Shit.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 am

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Depending on your view of the afterlife there’s potentially a lot of cool people to hang out with.

This forum is really showing its age demographic. I'm sure forums packed with noob EDM producers aren't filling it with RIP threads. I predict within a year The Lounge's first page will be the iPad, random picture, TV, and movies threads and the rest will be RIPs.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:45 am

what's truly sad is... a hip hop defining genre type icon has passed and me you and tapper are the only ones responding. This is A Tribe Called Quest ffs. It's not like we're mourning 50 Cent here...

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:29 pm

H20nly wrote:what's truly sad is... a hip hop defining genre type icon has passed and me you and tapper are the only ones responding. This is A Tribe Called Quest ffs. It's not like we're mourning 50 Cent here...
I agree! I felt the same way about the keith Emerson passing, even though probably few people here were attuned (or cared) to his musical significance from a synthesist perspective. I have kind of started to realize that essentially there only about 6 people who contribute to these threads anyways. The glory days of a vibrant collective ableton community seems to have diminished significantly. And that may be a blessing in disguise at least for me, because I have found myself want to spend less time here, and more time making music.

I remember my youth when P. E, ATCQ, Cypress, Cube, Tupac, etc, were the voice of my generation.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 pm

:cry: Really sad to hear this. I've always had an eclectic musical taste, but back in the mid-nineties, ATCQ defined my musical persona, at least the persona I projected to the outside world (I was in my teens, and flagging your musical taste in the nineties was a huuuuuge part of your social identity). I kind of moved on from hip hop sometime in the latter half of the nineties, but listening to their easygoing and uplifting rhymes still brings a huge smile to my face. I really miss the lighter side of hip hop.

BTW: I only learnt of his passing just now; haven't been paying a lot of attention to news since becoming a father one and a half week ago. :D
Last edited by sporkles on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:00 am

Congrats sporkles!! Hardest job ever and probably the only one that gives any true meaning to the "why do I even bother?" question most days.

Just to be clear; I really do mean that in a good way! :P

aisling wrote:
H20nly wrote:what's truly sad is... a hip hop defining genre type icon has passed and me you and tapper are the only ones responding. This is A Tribe Called Quest ffs. It's not like we're mourning 50 Cent here...
I agree! I felt the same way about the keith Emerson passing, even though probably few people here were attuned (or cared) to his musical significance from a synthesist perspective. I have kind of started to realize that essentially there only about 6 people who contribute to these threads anyways. The glory days of a vibrant collective ableton community seems to have diminished significantly. And that may be a blessing in disguise at least for me, because I have found myself want to spend less time here, and more time making music.

I remember my youth when P. E, ATCQ, Cypress, Cube, Tupac, etc, were the voice of my generation.
I'm pretty sure we would have "carpooled" in high school

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:37 pm

H20nly wrote:Congrats sporkles!! Hardest job ever and probably the only one that gives any true meaning to the "why do I even bother?" question most days.

Just to be clear; I really do mean that in a good way! :P
Thanks! Yeah, I had to go back and edit my post when I realised it hadn't been two and a half week, only one and a half... :lol: Loving every minute of it; I wonder if I'll ever get back to making music. Right now, I think I can fit in a little nap again. Phew! :P