Way to remap musical typing keys?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
j hubez

Way to remap musical typing keys?

Post by j hubez » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:39 am

Hi wizards,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reasonably straightforward way to change the default keys for musical typing, or to temporarily remap them to different character keys and override the default assignments that they take the place of. I'd primarily want to do this to have access to 2 octaves at once on my computer keyboard, for improved playability when using my laptop alone. This would be ideal for me, as I rarely use any of the other modifier-free default character key assignments (there are only a handful of them anyway). Oh also, having the ability to trigger/toggle sustain with a key would be some delicious icing on the cake.

I imagine that this could be accomplished with some sort of 3rd party keyboard input to midi conversion program or some Live script hacking witchcraft, and could research further into those options myself. But just wanted to check and see if anyone has already done the legwork first.

Thanks!

Sevish

Re: Way to remap musical typing keys?

Post by Sevish » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:56 am

Should be do-able with Max 4 Live, and the (key) object. Then you feed that into a (coll) object so that you can assign a MIDI note number to each key on your keyboard. That's the gist of it at least, but I'm sure there are downsides to doing it like this!