push 2 causes ableton to crash

Discuss Push with other users.
sineone

push 2 causes ableton to crash

Post by sineone » Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 pm

I have a fresh out of the box new ASUS I7 windows 10 PC.
yesterday I installed the atest version of Ableton and decided to hook up my push2 to the system.
next thing I know ableton crashes and keeps on doing this all the time, without push connected everything is fine.
If in control surface I change it to push2 (even without) push2 connected. It crashes

Did anyone have the same experience with this? and can anyone help me A :?: :?:

Tarekith

Re: push 2 causes ableton to crash

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Try contacting support@ableton.com if you haven't had any luck getting this sorted.

sineone

Post by sineone » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 pm

I've been trying this for 2 days. sending crashreplies and all. No answer :(

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 am

See if you can get hold of the Beta version of Live. That seems to have fixed this issue.

sineone

Post by sineone » Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 am

I'll try that

sineone

Post by sineone » Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am

where can I find Beta versions?
I also asked for an older version but sofar no answer from the support.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 am

sineone wrote:where can I find Beta versions?
I also asked for an older version but sofar no answer from the support.
You need to join the Beta program to get access:

https://www.ableton.com/en/beta/

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I also have an issue with a new Push2 freezing after a few minutes use. Win10, hardware less than a year old, 9.7.1 and 9.7.2b3. It causes Live to not respond until I switch off the Push2 when Live becomes responsive.

Tried swapping power supplies for an alternative 12V, swapped USB cable and port. I have emailed support, but am wandering if the OP ever found a fix?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:I also have an issue with a new Push2 freezing after a few minutes use. Win10, hardware less than a year old, 9.7.1 and 9.7.2b3. It causes Live to not respond until I switch off the Push2 when Live becomes responsive.

Tried swapping power supplies for an alternative 12V, swapped USB cable and port. I have emailed support, but am wandering if the OP ever found a fix?
Your issue is not the same as the OP. The issue was Live would crash which was a bug in Live last year which is fixed in latest versions.

Live uses a service for Push (Push2DisplayProcess) which I have found can trigger some antivirus software sometimes. Try and close any applications you don't immediately need (Antivirus, dropbox, Anything else running) then try again.

Does seem strange it will work for a period then stop.

What are your computer specs and audio interface?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Check in Ableton Midi prefs and Windows device manager that you only have 1 Push listed.......
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

jestermgee> I have now added Ableton's path to antivirus exclusions, but I will also disable and test later. I will look at my startup and disable all non-essentials and try again.

I have an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero, Intel 6700K, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, NVIDIA GTX1080 Founders Edition, Edirol UA-25EX Audio Interface and some lovely fast storage options.

I have also now tried on my old Win7 PC, which seems to work OK, Push2 didn't freeze in 20 mins

Mark Williams> Only one device on Ableton Lives list. Windows device manager has a few entries: a single 'Ableton Push 2' entry in sound, a single 'Push 2 Display' entry in USB devices. It also has two of each of the following devices under Software devices: '2 - Live Port', '2 - UA-25EX(1)', and '2 - User Port'. Not sure if these six entries are all to do with the UA25EX or the '2 - Live Port' one has something to do with Ableton?

If I get nowhere I may try a fresh win10 install on an older drive to see if it is definitely build related.

edit------>

I have now tried a fresh Win10 install with only the bare minimum mobo drivers, H100iv2 cooler driver, UA-25EX, Nvidia Geforce, no antivirus or any other apps. Unfortunately the problem still occurs. I am still awaiting support from Ableton. Going to see if I can make it freeze on my old PC...

final edit -------->

I had the push2 swapped out by my supplier and the new on does not freeze. Happy days.

alexkywalker

Post by alexkywalker » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm

I am surprised this problem has not been resolved after such a long time.

Bought a Push 2 in the last 6 months, works OK on my Mac laptop, but my Windows PC is a lot more powerful and that's where I do all the heavy work, but the Push 2 has been a disappointment.

After using it for a while, it starts lagging, then stops responding; some other times it just becomes unresponsive (even if I am not using it, for example, if I switch to another windows to look something up); and I don't have anything heavy loaded into Ableton (using 10.1.x).

I have tried turning off the setting in Device Manager to allow windows to turn power off in the USB root host controller, but no effect. I have cleared all other USB devices from the computer, stopped all other applications, still consistently reproducible.

The LED display of the Push and the strip still work, but all other buttons do not respond. The only fix is to turn it off and back on.

Using my laptop is not a viable solution, and Mac desktops cost more than a car these days, so I may be selling it to a Mac owner if I cannot get this resolved. :evil:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:46 am

There isn't a specific issue to resolve, I have personally had none of the issues you speak of since this thread was created. Occasional Live crash but nothing out the ordinary and Push operates smoothly no matter what i'm doing

My specs (because it may help....)
Windows 10
i7 4820K
16GB DDR3 2400
RTX 2080Ti
Roland Octacapture
SSD
Push 2
Live 10

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 pm

No issue here, rarely get a crash, when I do its normally a plugin thats caused it.

Windows 10
Ryzen 3600
16GB 3600 ram
1TB Nvme Gen4 drive
Radeon RX570
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen
Live 10
Push2
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

alexkywalker

Post by alexkywalker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:11 pm

My specs:
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard
64GB RAM
GTX 1080ti
SSD
ElGato capture card (for twitch streaming)
Dodocool PCIe USB 3.1 card (tested on this one too with no luck)
Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 (using its ASIO drivers,
Not ASIO4All)

Software installed
Windows 10
Ableton 10.1.25
Arturia Analog Lab
Visual Studio 2019 (I use my PC for software dev too)
No fancy antivirus, only windows defender, and have not seen any flags
Also have opened Event Viewer and can’t correlate any event to the Push freezing

Tried on my Razer laptop and the push wouldn’t get past the boot logo.

Might be my luck, but the fact that this works fine in a Mac and not in Windows just tells me the support in Windows is not as great.
I believe you that you guys have no issues, but in my case I spent more time troubleshooting this than necessary so last resort will be trying to see how feasible it is to switch my use of the Push only to a Mac laptop or sell the Push and move on.