map and display parameter value of other device

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
EarHax

map and display parameter value of other device

Post by EarHax » Fri May 27, 2016 1:03 am

I'm trying to make a very simple, small device (minimum device width) that will just map to any parameter of another Live or Max device (even if that parameter is mapped/controlled by a Live rack macro or other Max device), and simply display it's value in a number box. Is this possible? Anyone know how to do it?

This would be very useful in large Live racks to inspect parameter values of devices in racks without expanding them, and for use when Live's rack macros values don't tell you the value of a parameter, and just use the 0-127 values.

Ideally, this device would automatically output the parameter value in it's original format (Hz, 0-100, %, etc.). However, if that isn't possible, or is very complicated, just adding a scale control (or range min/max) so the user can manually input the range of the parameter it is mapped to would allow for the mapped parameter value to be reflected more accurately.

If anyone knows of such a device, please tell me. If none exists, I would gladly donate for the time & effort for someone to make it for me. I simply just don't have the time lately to figure it out and do it myself.

Thanks!

S4racen

Re: map and display parameter value of other device

Post by S4racen » Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 am

So are you looking for the Value to permanently reflect one parameter or should it jump around the set?

In our SMART device we've given the ability to map and control parameters with an upper and lower range which is reflected as the values shown on the actual parameter...

Cheers
D

EarHax

Re: map and display parameter value of other device

Post by EarHax » Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

S4racen wrote:So are you looking for the Value to permanently reflect one parameter or should it jump around the set?

In our SMART device we've given the ability to map and control parameters with an upper and lower range which is reflected as the values shown on the actual parameter...

Cheers
D
I'm looking to be able to map a parameter, and have the actual value of the parameter displayed as it would be on the Max or Live device (I realize plugin parameters are trickier to get). It will stick with the mapped parameter until remapped. It should also allow the user the ability to set or scale the range (min/max) of the value *displayed* for parameters (like for some plugins) that don't allow the actual value to be gotten by Max. This would not be to control the parameter range, but merely to translate parameter values (via scaling and/or use of a multiplier) that aren't picked up properly to display an accurate value.