Using multiple Launchkey 25's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oldbetseysatan

Using multiple Launchkey 25's

Post by oldbetseysatan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm switching back to Live for live use after using MainStage for a while now and wanted to ask a quick question regarding multiple controllers.

I only have one Launchkey at the moment so wanted to put this out there before getting another one or two.

I'd like set up 2 or 3 Launchkeys for various players but wondered if there's a way to name the controllers in the midi preference pane? Say Launchkey 1, Launchkey 2 (etc) as it seems it might get confusing in the set-up preferences?

Also just so we know which Launchkey (1, 2 or 3) needs to go where on stage in the heat of changeovers and such?

Thanks,

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

yur2die4

Re: Using multiple Launchkey 25's

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Depending how you use it, you might have some weird quirks.

Live handles multiple controllers, but if you don't plan out exactly which does what, you will have overlap.

For example, by default all the keyboards would play the same armed channel. You would either have to choose which keyboard is received by each channel, or use 'midi channel' in the controller itself... If it even offers that option.. to make distinct keyboards. But even then, once you commit a channel in Live to one, you might not be able to use another keyboard on that same instrument (if that was ever going to be an option you wanted). Again though, the ability to change midi channel within the keyboard could be a solution, then you'd just assign each channel in Live a specific midi ch, and switch to them from the midi channel of the keyboards (you can already test this with the keyboard you currently have).

The clip launching should behave as expected, where each device gets to move their border around. They will each have unique colors. This might get confusing each time you load it up though because you might sometimes have cases where keyboards will switch colored borders.

If there is a 'device control' or channel volume thing going on, they will all at once control whichever device is selected. Person A selects a Rack, now person A and B have to control that same rack. This would be from using the control surface. There is the option to lock each device to a rack. This would allow multiple people to control multiple racks at once, but then you can't change to another rack without unlocking.

Alternatively, you can midi map. With midi mapping though, if all controllers are set to midi ch. 1, they'll all control the same thing. So you'd need to change each to a different Ch. you can test this ok your current controller by mapping things to it while the controller is set to midi ch 1. Then switch to midi ch 2 and map more things. You'd be able to switch back and forth between ch 1 and 2 on the controller but be able to control different things.

I'm not sure if changing the channel in the controller will make you lose Clip Launch functionality.

So yeah, you can use two of the same controller. But there are specific things to consider, and some crossover functionality might happen.

oldbetseysatan

Re: Using multiple Launchkey 25's

Post by oldbetseysatan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
So yeah, you can use two of the same controller. But there are specific things to consider, and some crossover functionality might happen.
Cheers yur2die4! Yeah I might just try and not be so clever and use a couple different controllers.

That's what we're doing now (Axiom, Launchkey, Roland) and it's working fine but the keyboards themselves (especially the Roland) are getting kind of knackered so thought I it might be nice to have all the same controllers but let's keep it simple for the stupid, shall we? :)

Many many thanks for the reply!

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."