Multicore CPU

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yinonyahel

Multicore CPU

Post by yinonyahel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:54 am

Does Ableton use Multicore capabilities ? where can i see the usage of the CPU on ableton by cores ?
Thanks

Lojik

Re: Multicore CPU

Post by Lojik » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 am

Yes it does :)

albieg

Post by albieg » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Multicore and multiprocessor support can be switched off or on from the Preferences panel (CPU).

I don't think that core affinity can have a meaning if we're talking about separate measures of performance impact. Anyway, a rough measurement (and even setting affinity though it's generally not advised to do so) can be done with Process Explorer by Sysinternals, which is an excellent Task Manager replacement in Windows. It's available as part of the free Sysinternals Suite (Sysinternals has been acquired years ago by Microsoft and its founder, Mark Russinovich, is now an MS employee) or available as a standalone tool at live.sysinternals.com.

Measurements can be done clicking on the CPU monitor in the upper part of the program window and selecting Show one graph per CPU: the red part are system calls, the green one represents user space tasks (such as Ableton). More info can be obtained by selecting columns shown by Process Explorer, especially in the Performance section. It is adivised to run as Administrator, or to Show Details for All Processes from the File menu (same result).

Multiple considerations about performance could be written here, but I'm keeping this post short. If you're using the Mac, I understand this post is useless. the top tool (from command line interface) may be of help.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:54 pm

yinonyahel wrote:Does Ableton use Multicore capabilities ? where can i see the usage of the CPU on ableton by cores ?
Thanks
Ableton Live supports multiple cores in the meaning different threads are spread over any available cores. It can be important knowledge to note that in Live a track — or it's representation in machine code — is never spread over more than one core. As cores are in a relatively low maximum supply, that means each core is solely working on multiple tracks, on top of system and other processes running in the background outside of Live.

I don't think you easily can see in any high detail how Live distributes computing. It's possible some analytical developer tools can give some insights.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 am

yinonyahel wrote:Does Ableton use Multicore capabilities ? where can i see the usage of the CPU on ableton by cores ?
Thanks
So to simplify the responses a little

Yes, Multi-core support is available (and can be enabled/disabled in properties).

No, you cannot see individual core loading, only an overall CPU load of live itself.

crawling wind

Post by crawling wind » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:20 am

Is it on by default, or does it need to be enabled? Thanks!

jestermgee wrote:
Thanks

Yes, Multi-core support is available (and can be enabled/disabled in properties).

No, you cannot see individual core loading, only an overall CPU load of live itself.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:32 am

crawling wind wrote:Is it on by default, or does it need to be enabled? Thanks!

jestermgee wrote:
Thanks

Pretty sure it is on by default. You find it in one of the Pref menus. If you have issues with load and believe you shouldn't then try with the option off.