Upgrade to Sierra or stick on Yosemite ???

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nikm

Upgrade to Sierra or stick on Yosemite ???

Post by nikm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 am

Just bought a magic mouse 2 didn't know scroll function wouldn't work in Yosemite ,
Debating whether to make the upgrade to sierra heard some horror stories is it stable now ??
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Tarekith

Re: Upgrade to Sierra or stick on Yosemite ???

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:29 pm

No issues here with any of my audio apps, Live works just fine.

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:14 am

Sierra works fine, no issues
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 am

nikm wrote:Just bought a magic mouse 2 didn't know scroll function wouldn't work in Yosemite ,
Debating whether to make the upgrade to sierra heard some horror stories is it stable now ??
It was never unstable to begin with if your software and drivers were updated. Why do you feel you need to update?

At any rate, always (!!!!) do a full and complete bootable backup that you can revert to if it doesn't pan out. Superduper does this for free (for one mint backup) and Time Machine as well (I don't like the latter).

Also clean installs are always more reliable, but they tend to take a day or two. Full backups come in handy with them.

Remember to unsign licenses from your machine no matter if you do a clean install or just an!
Make some music!

nikm

Post by nikm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 am

I updated as so i can use the scroll function on my new magic mouse 2 .. this function is not compatible with yosemite.
Anyway i updated to sierra seems ok so far but it's changed my libstdc++ file , so certain ilok plugins dont work anymore thats the only noticeable thing so far :( pain staking reinstall needed !
unless i can find where to swap the libstdc file as i have the old one saved on external , cant seem to find where it is placed in sierra ??

Stromkraft wrote:
nikm wrote:Just bought a magic mouse 2 didn't know scroll function wouldn't work in Yosemite ,
It was never unstable to begin with if your software and drivers were updated. Why do you feel you need to update?

At any rate, always (!!!!) do a full and complete bootable backup that you can revert to if it doesn't pan out. Superduper does this for free (for one mint backup) and Time Machine as well (I don't like the latter).

Also clean installs are always more reliable, but they tend to take a day or two. Full backups come in handy with them.

Remember to unsign licenses from your machine no matter if you do a clean install or just an!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Haven't been DAWing it up too much lately, but weirdly I've had more issues with Logic (Apple's own DAW) and third party plugins than Live on Sierra.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 am

Yosemite sucked. Running Sierra just fine.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 am

nikm wrote: Anyway i updated to sierra seems ok so far but it's changed my libstdc++ file , so certain ilok plugins dont work anymore thats the only noticeable thing so far :( pain staking reinstall needed !
unless i can find where to swap the libstdc file as i have the old one saved on external , cant seem to find where it is placed in sierra ??
Stromkraft wrote:

This was why I reminded of the importance to unsign licenses. You can talk to iLok support and they'll give you additional installs, but it's wasteful doing this when you don't need to with some precaution. There's a limit on how many times you can do this.
Make some music!