Push 2 arrived with some surprises...

Discuss Push with other users.
soundklinik 33

Push 2 arrived with some surprises...

Post by soundklinik 33 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 pm

OK, NEW push 2 arrived today, I replaced push 1... Beautiful etc...but I couldn't even turn it ON?
Do you people have to push and hold the power button?

As I was trying to turn it on it flashed "updating firmware" but there was nothing to guide me through? Did it update correctly? How can I check?

Push1 (P-1) turned on instantly everything worked and suddenly on P-2 I can't load waveform onto screen,
the length of recording in bars does not show...

I spent most of the time today trying to see what is wrong? Why all these problems? I thought that it all got ironed out in P-1?!?!

Everything seemed so much easier on P-1(and it worked) ...yet people say the contrary...

On Windows 7 64bit.
Thanks for any insights.
Last edited by soundklinik 33 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPad-AIR 2, Lenovo x220-laptop, Squarp Pyramid, Elektron Digitakt

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 2 arrived with PROBLEMS ?

Post by [jur] » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 am

First thing is to checked if the usb cable is correctly and fully plugged in. It may sound stupid but...
Do you only have issue with the screen?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 am

soundklinik 33 wrote:OK, NEW push 2 arrived today, I replaced push 1... Beautiful etc...but I couldn't even turn it ON?
Do you people have to push and hold the power button?

As I was trying to turn it on it flashed "updating firmware" but there was nothing to guide me through? Did it update correctly? How can I check?

Push1 (P-1) turned on instantly everything worked and suddenly on P-2 I can't load waveform onto screen,
the length of recording in bars does not show...

I spent most of the time today trying to see what is wrong? Why all these problems? I thought that it all got ironed out in P-1?!?!

Everything seemed so much easier on P-1(and it worked) ...yet people say the contrary...

On Windows 7 64bit.
Thanks for any insights.
You see that power supply? That's what you need to accept to plug in now.

If this doesn't help, send it back.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 am

Firmware updates should be pretty fast and automatic, there's no confirmation screen when it's done. Make sure that the USB cable is fully plugged in, because sometimes it feels like it is and it's not. Also check in Live's midi preferences and make sure that Push 2 isn't listed twice as a control surface.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you all for replying.

I seem to have fixed all of the problems...LOL

Just discovered something: some, IF NOT ALL of the problems were caused by my other controller PCR-300 [that works fine otherwise, drivers updated etc]...when it is plugged in, browser shows NO Device...and no way to get into Browser?....and no bar recording length on screen...no wave showing in Push.

Reason I mention this, is that if someone has similar problems, it may be related to another midi controller? I guess PUSH-2 wants exclusivity. And P-1 worked FINE on same PC with PCR-300.

So far everything seems to be normal, except I can't use another controller with P-2 but that is another story

THANK YOU ALL for help.

Nice weekend:)

outofocus

Re: Push 2 arrived with some surprises...

Post by outofocus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Hm, Strange, i had the same problem but returned my Push 2 and are waiting for an exchange.
I turned Push 2 on. Firmware update was working. Then was told to switch Push on/off (if I remember right) But Push 2 did not turn on again except I keep holding the on/off-switch.
I think the first time it kind of had a click but now it does not.
How does your Push 2 on/off switch work? Does it klick in after a pressing it in like a toggle or is it just a press for on/press for off switch with the same mechanical state for on and off?

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 pm

outofocus wrote:Hm, Strange, i had the same problem but returned my Push 2 and are waiting for an exchange.
I turned Push 2 on. Firmware update was working. Then was told to switch Push on/off (if I remember right) But Push 2 did not turn on again except I keep holding the on/off-switch.
I think the first time it kind of had a click but now it does not.
How does your Push 2 on/off switch work? Does it click in after a pressing it in like a toggle or is it just a press for on/press for off switch with the same mechanical state for on and off?
Mine works like this: you have to hold it in (for a moment) until the push logo goes on the screen, then release the button. It stays pushed in half way and is lit. It is like that. I called Thomann to ask if that is normal. Strange on/off switch in my opinion. Made me think my unit was broken too...
Few times happened to me that it didn't turn on with a quick push/release.

Also a precision on my previous statement about the other midi controller, disabling Push....I found out it was an user error, I had PCR going into PUSH (in preferences) trying to midi control Push with another device (PCR). WRONG.

there is a link above with a list of CCs to map if you know what you're doing. Didn't work for me.
My PCR works fine as an independent controller, plays notes.
And Push is just great. Love it.:)
Last edited by soundklinik 33 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofocus

Post by outofocus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm

OK. My replacement model arrived today and the Button behaves normal and as expected (toggles) and stays inside after pushed to on. First one was simply broken after first use.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm

outofocus wrote:OK. My replacement model arrived today and the Button behaves normal and as expected (toggles) and stays inside after pushed to on. First one was simply broken after first use.

Just a quick question...(you or anyone), does your power switch require to hold it pushed in for a moment, or is it like any normal on/off switch? (that latches on/off.)

I need to hold mine in for a few seconds until the Ableton logo goes on the screen

never had a power switch like that before...

outofocus

Post by outofocus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I need to hold mine in for a few seconds until the Ableton logo goes on the screen

never had a power switch like that before...[/quote]

my replacement unit now works as expected. just have to tap on the power switch shortly that it snaps in, logo appears after some seconds, but I do not have to hold the switch until it appears.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:00 am

outofocus wrote:I need to hold mine in for a few seconds until the Ableton logo goes on the screen

never had a power switch like that before...
my replacement unit now works as expected. just have to tap on the power switch shortly that it snaps in, logo appears after some seconds, but I do not have to hold the switch until it appears.
[/b]

Thank you for reply, I'm gonna have mine replaced, because the switch is really funky, sometimes it takes a few tries to push it in so it "clicks" in and stays in....

outofocus

Post by outofocus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:10 am

Looks like some units may have a faulty switch.
And I really hope that the other rubber pads surrounding the main pads are made to last long. Every time I press these I feel like my fingernail will go through the surface some day.

Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:05 am

outofocus wrote:Looks like some units may have a faulty switch.
And I really hope that the other rubber pads surrounding the main pads are made to last long. Every time I press these I feel like my fingernail will go through the surface some day.
Unfortunately, I bought an Ableton Push 2 recently (brand new and boxed) and it came with the faulty power switch. Only sometimes will it click when I press it on and it will work but most of the time it will not click and it will not turn on unless I keep my finger on the switch but when a I release my finger from the switch it will turn off.

I returned it to my local music store and the manager confirmed that the power switch is faulty. I think there must be a loose connection on the power switch on some of the Ableton Push 2 units including the unit I got.

I am waiting for a replacement but the offices are closed over the holidays until Tuesday. If this happens again I will get a full refund and look elsewhere for a controller for Ableton Live.

outofocus

Post by outofocus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:53 am

I received a replacement unit and it is working fine now.