Loop after consolidate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ Tequila

Loop after consolidate

Post by DJ Tequila » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

After consolidating, the newly generated clip is set not to loop. I can't seem to find a setting which changes this behaviour.

When editing things like drum loops or bounced bass-lines in the arrange view, I would often like to be able to consolidate then immediately stretch to loop across a few phrases. As 'loop' isn't set on the sample after consolidate, I have to reveal the clip information panel and turn on loop before going back to the arrangement to pull the looped audio across to the desired length.

Does anyone know how to make 'loop' the default behaviour for consolidated clips?

Richie Witch

Re: Loop after consolidate

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 pm

According to page 105 of the Live manual, if you select your clips, then click Loop on the combined clip window, then Consolidate, the new clip will be created as a loop.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but might be easier than having to open the new clip properties every time after consolidation.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

DJ Tequila

Post by DJ Tequila » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks Richie. It's still something that will interrupt workflow, which is something I want to avoid.

No-one's come across a keyboard combination or anything have they?

NoToK

Post by NoToK » Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Still looking for a fix for this. I Consolidate like all the time och HATE being forced to loop the new consolidated clip EVERY TIME.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I reported this years ago.
Make some music!

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I agree, it's huge PITA :roll:
This is one of bigger reasons why I am sticking more (and getting used to) with Bitwig than Live lately.
Live could be perfect DAW if they focus on small workflow things like this which makes big difference - the stuf which we can't add from 3rd party solution (unlike new synths and FX)

Cuica man

Post by Cuica man » Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I just make a new track and drag the consolidated audio into it... then u can add loops and FX

NF2K

Post by NF2K » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:44 pm

This is still an issue as far as I can tell - has anyone figured out a solution?

In the case of a selection containing only a single audio clip It would be nice (and sensible) if Live respected the settings of the clip as it was preconsolidation i.e. whether it had Loop activated or not

bumps

Post by bumps » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:33 am

Hi,
I've made a work around for this issue with a Max for Live device "Clip Auto Loop After Consolidate". Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you or if there are any problems:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/8 ... onsolidate

This device uses the Live API to automatically Loop consolidated Clips, within certain conditions.

I was able to make this work in two Modes, and each Mode has its own limitations and quirks. I think this is the best that can be done at the moment, because the current Live API doesn't have any functions for consolidating or knowing when multiple clips are selected.

How to use:

Put this device on an unused MIDI track, set the "Clip Auto Loop" switch to On, then select a Mode. Newly consolidated Clips will have the Loop Switch set to On.

In Single Track Mode, Clip Auto Loop only works when consolidating Clips in a single Track. [Note: Selecting a single Clip will also set the Loop Switch to On, even when you are not consolidating.]

In Multi Track Mode, Clip Auto Loop works when consolidating Clips across multiple Tracks, but they must be within the Arrangement Loop region. Multi Track Mode requires Live 11. [Note: All Clips in the Arrangement Loop region will be set to Loop, even when you are not consolidating.]

Remember to set the "Clip Auto Loop" switch to Off when you want to work with un-looped Clips again.

I put the device in an extra track in my default live set, so the device is always on and I don't have to think about it. I've been testing this for a few weeks and it has been working well for me.

I always use Multi Track Mode, which loops all clips in the Arrangement Loop. This works for my workflow, because I like to make Multi Track loops in the Arrangement Loop, then consolidate and drag the clips into Session View for loop jamming. My Live Sets are usually all loops, so I just leave "Auto Clip Loop" set to On all the time.

The major limitation of this device is that if your workflow uses a mix of loops and one-shots, you have to remember to set "Auto Clip Loop" to Off after consolidating, or you could accidentally set your one-shots to Loops. To assist with this limitation, you can open the Helper Window which allows you to quickly set the "Clip Auto Loop" switch On/Off while viewing any track. The main "Clip Auto Loop" switch can also be controlled by Live's MIDI Map and Key Map features.

shron_jpg

Post by shron_jpg » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am

Thanks @bumps, works like a charm!