fixed length recording overlapping chord notes

Discuss Push with other users.
clay

fixed length recording overlapping chord notes

Post by clay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:33 pm

im doing some live looping with midi using fixed length recording eg 4bars. im finding that with chords if i record a chord close to the end of the fixed length, the end note of the chord will sometimes record over the 4 bars and then cut off notes on the chord at the start of the loop. i thought the recording would stop at the end of the prescribed length noted in 'fixed length'. push also doesnt seem to allow me to quantise the end of notes.

im really wanting the last chord to sustain right up to the end of the bar then cut off.

has anyone got a workaround for this?

clay

Re: fixed length recording overlapping chord notes

Post by clay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

i think what i am wanting here is for recording to stop at the end of the fixed length and for the clip to start looping.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:09 am

you just have to time it. thats part of performing live.

clay

Post by clay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:16 pm

ummm....ok

anyway the live manual says this:

Tip: enabling Fixed Length while recording will switch recording off and loop the last few bars of the clip, depending on the Fixed Length setting

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:02 am

I believe there are two fixed length recording modes.

Not sure which is best for your situation.

If I recall, you can access the option by holding User

Edit: okay so I looked into what I mentioned and played with Push a bit. You're right, it just keeps recording after. I personally like this feature overall but can see many situations where it would be undesirable (like when wanting to record new clips after).

The feature I mentioned is more to do with phrasing so it is unrelated.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm not sure, but I think an undo after when the notes have been recorded at the beginning, only removes those. At least this is so when I loop with overdub on. I don't use fixed length often so not sure if it works the same with that.
Make some music!

clay

Post by clay » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14 pm

ive sent something to ableton support about this because its strange that the manual says the Live does exactly what i want but i cant seem to make Live do that.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

clay wrote:ummm....ok

anyway the live manual says this:

Tip: enabling Fixed Length while recording will switch recording off and loop the last few bars of the clip, depending on the Fixed Length setting
i think that only works, if you press an empty clip slot in a track, while the record arm is on, and you press it from push pads

so when the push ttrack becomes red on push, and all the empty slots become red. then you press one and it will record for x bars and then start playback

clay

Post by clay » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 pm

legend! thats it.

man there are so many variables all with different behaviour - from clicking the armed clip, to hitting the push record button, to hitting session record button!!

thanks for your help