How to know the note of a sample

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sebastb78

How to know the note of a sample

Post by sebastb78 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi,

I just start to use Ableton and looked at some videos to learn. Someone on Fl Studio show how to know wich note is play by the sample chose. For exemple sometimes the note of the sample is a A3 so when he plays at C3 it sound like a A3 so he transpose it to have the correct note.
How to know what is the note of a sample in Ableton.

Thanks

A french man (sorry for my english)

mihai

Re: How to know the note of a sample

Post by mihai » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:51 am

pitch it up one octave and the root will pop out. if not then it's 'atonal' so you might not need to worry about pitch.

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 am

I believe this is what you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm76ejG4lD4

You need Ableton suite to use the tuner and operator but the tuner isn't necessary and for the operator just open up a soft synth like Serum or Sylenth and just play a sine wave. (btw ignore the strange puppet in the video lol)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:41 am

If you have Live Standard or Suite, you could also right-click on the sample and "Convert Melody to MIDI". This will attempt to convert the sample to MIDI data and the notes will be obvious. If it's a complex sample, you can also try "Convert Harmony to MIDI".

See page 174 of the Live manual for more information.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

dhpetrescu

Post by dhpetrescu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:57 am

You could use Melodyne if you have money to spend. Drag the sample into Melodyne, it will then read the sample and tell you the key and scale.