Auto-map mod wheel to first macro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mattvorn

Auto-map mod wheel to first macro

Post by mattvorn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 am

Hi, essentially I have a strings instrument, and want to control (automatically without having to set a map every time) the dynamics (essentially volume and a lowpass eq) similarly to a Kontakt instrument, but inside an Ableton rack. I have the macro 1 set to act as a dynamic coefficient, however I want to use my mod wheel to control the parameter, if I set the mod wheel as the parameter, it will stop working on everything else as a mod wheel and only work with what it's now mapped to.

I also don't want to map another midi control. I know there must be a way to edit a map setting or something so when I have the instrument's channel armed, the mod wheel automatically adjusts the first macro mapped only if the instrument is within a rack?

yur2die4

Re: Auto-map mod wheel to first macro

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:09 am

This one can be kind of complex and tricky. There are two methods I can think of that are workable.

1. You can use a max4live device that receives mod input already (I believe there is already a device in the max essentials pack) which has a map button that can map to that macro on the rack.

I am assuming you want the rack to be the First device in the chain so that it is selected by default. You can place the device inside the rack before the instruments and it'll still receive the appropriate cc, but control the macro on the outside of the rack.

2. The above method is the more straightforward option, but requires max. Another option is to create a 'user Remote script' to set a control surface for your keyboard that you want to control the parameter. This will 'take over' your mos wheel though and it will no longer work when attempting to control standard mod wheel supported instruments. The workaround for that is to change the midi channel on your keyboard depending on whether you're doing macros or mod within an instrument. I'd understand if this is far from ideal, and unworkable.